New 63 tail Light lens

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

New 63 tail Light lens

Post by papawayne »

I just replaced a tail light lens on my 63 with a new repro from Baker's. As I was installing it, I noticed that the original had some dull silver paint covering the bottom of the lens. Baker's did not. A quick five minutes with some masking tape and a squirt with some metalic paint took care of it. Even though you cant see the paint, it probably keeps the light shining out of the car rather than under it. Rabid authenticity people take note if you haven't already.
palgeorge
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: New 63 tail Light lens

Post by palgeorge »

I have courtesy if John Cashman come into two NOS (in there original packaging) tail light lenses, was very exciting to be the first person to open the box after 47 + years and that very detail of the silver paint is accurate!
George W
Lincoln Maniac

Re: New 63 tail Light lens

Post by George W »

I can attest that the front parking light lenses on my 65 also have silver painted bottoms and tops. There's also a highly polished stainless insert that separates the upper half of the lens from the lower. I guess it's there to separate the parking and turn signal functions within the lens. Does this mean that only one half of each 1157 bulb is actually used in each position ?
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles