Updated: '61-63 Authenticity manual: Ready for order!

Details such as correct colors, plating material, inspection marks, orientation, and even the number of wipes that should occur for a vacuum-powered windshield wiper system after pushing the "wash" button.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Updated: '61-63 Authenticity manual: Ready for order!

Post by Dan Szwarc »

You can also email to nubs.schactner (at) LCOC.org (I just set it up).

Anyone get a response yet?
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Yes, he just called me to verify the credit card number. He said my copy is among the first to be mailed. Stay tuned!!
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

Got snow? Fun to drive in Columbus Ohio.
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

WOOOOO HOOOOOO

It is here ! Just got it in the mail, a 3 ring binder, with nice quality color pictures for reference ! They even gave credit to us that posted pictures here on the thread!

Lots of good reading this weekend, one of the pictures shown is of the 61 side view mirror, I knew of 2 types, but not 3- check out the pictures:

click to enlarge:

1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
bnorwood
Frequent Contributor

Post by bnorwood »

Todd,

I am SOOOO jealous!

Brad
autostick
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by autostick »

My Authenticity Manual arrived coincidentally at the same moment as the Jan-Feb 2009 Continental Comments. Note on page 60 the LCOC lists the 61-63 Authenticity Manual for sale with email and fax order number 309-341-1091.
Many thanks to Rob J. Zeller for a job well done.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Speaking of the new issue of CC, although I didn't get to read it, I did see there is a nice spread on Brian's twins! Nice! :smt023
1961Lincoln
Lincoln Maniac

Post by 1961Lincoln »

It is here ! Just got it in the mail, a 3 ring binder, with nice quality color pictures for reference ! They even gave credit to us that posted pictures here on the thread!

Lots of good reading this weekend, one of the pictures shown is of the 61 side view mirror, I knew of 2 types, but not 3- check out the pictures:
I was surprised to see the manual was printed in color! I thought I could get away with taking a picture of Stu's '63 drivers side mirror and listing it as a '61. :oops: At least readers can't see the remote control inside!

For sure I wanted to give everyone credit. :smt006 The information everyone provided on the forum was excellent, as was all of Dan's help with the topics. I feel bad that we were only able to recognize three of the original team members though...

I have to say the most interesting part was working with Chris Dunn at Lincolnland on the rare '61 parts. I felt like I was holding the USA Constitution, when Chris took the photo of the early '61 mirror next to the Mark II mirror. :D (Too bad Lincoln swithed over to the T-bird mirror - that early mirror was sleek!)

For the next revision, we should include photos of the early '61 steering wheel and AC drop-down cover that included the speaker. Of course that could go on and on as many running changes were made.

I hope this helps all of us who are trying to restore to factory specs. Did anyone notice the "factory rocker panel blackout" on page 105? It is actually a convertible '68 Mustang Shelby clone my brother was restoring/building, but the same paint coverage applies!

Rob
Rob Zeller Saugatuck MI

'61 & '66 Continental convertibles
'62 Thunderbird Sports Roadster tri-power (clone)
'79 Mark V Collector's Series
'04 Aviator Ultimate
'17 MKZ 3.0T
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Gotta tell you, Nubs shot mine out very quickly. Got it in something like 4 days! Now all I have to do is read it and try to understand what it says... :roll: :roll:

Looks real nice; great job, Rob.

Thanks!
Bill Prince
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Bill Prince »

Rob,
There are numerous changes between the early and later production 1961s and I suspect that you know all of them. I also have not read the new Manual yet. However, I thought I would mention a change that I thought took place between the 1961s and 1962s.

I wrote a little discription under the Brakes/Steering section a few days ago, which you can read. It has to do with the steering wheel height change. The change appearantly took place in 1961, from the early cars to the later cars (after Jan. 17, 1961 and before Jun 20, 1961 - sorry, I need to check the last date! - my cars assembly dates). The steering wheel is 3/4" lower on the early 1961 cars than the later 1961 cars and the steering column is centered in the opening in the instrument panel where it goes through on the early 1961 cars. It is not centered (riding high, touching the top of the opening) in the later 1961 cars. Anyway, you can read my post on this subject. I will check the dimensions another way to see if I still get 3/4" difference. Some literature or an article that I read some time back mentioned the the steering wheels on the 1962s were 1" higher than the 1961s. This is about true, but also the late 1961s had higher steering wheels and the change was 3/4" and not 1" (I think). You may well know this, but just in case you do not - I am mentioning it. I am sort of fastinated with such changes...

Bill
Thanks,
Bill

1961 Lincoln Continental Convertible (White/Blue), 1961 Lincoln Continental Sedan (White/Blue - 37K miles), 1972 Mark IV (Pastel Lime/Green). See photos of my cars at Cardomain.com - search for gormanwpjr
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Yes, how are they going to handle changes? Not to open a can of worms, but according to what's in the book (according to Gordy) the air conditioning tag is to go on the muffler, when I have documentation (that I sent to Nubs to give to Gordy) showing it in fact goes on the hoses.

What to do, what to do.... :roll:
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Stuart M. Cohen wrote:Yes, how are they going to handle changes? Not to open a can of worms, but according to what's in the book (according to Gordy) the air conditioning tag is to go on the muffler, when I have documentation (that I sent to Nubs to give to Gordy) showing it in fact goes on the hoses.

What to do, what to do.... :roll:
Submit it for official consideration at the annual meeting to the judging or authenticity committee. Gordy has consistently insisted that the tag should go on the hoses when there has been significant proof that it at least CAN go on the hoses. I think the manual should be updated with a service bulletin.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I think the manual should be updated with a service bulletin.
I agree. People who've bought the manual could be notified by e-mail when an update is available. It could be posted on the website for them to download.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
briven95
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by briven95 »

Gee Whiz,
Both Stu and I sent pics from the FACTORY installation manuals that show that the tags for 62, 63, and (going by Tim Wilson's 1,000 mile 64 sedan) clearly is supposed to be on the hoses by the air cleaner, not on the compressor muffler. That's not from a 'service bulletin' it's from the factory manual.