Looking to purchase this 59 Convertible

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
ScottDixon

Looking to purchase this 59 Convertible

Post by ScottDixon »

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1 ... homa-73010

I don't know what I don't know but thought I'd just ask you guys what you thought of this car from what you can see in the pictures?

I'm not a mechanic and won't be able to fix much of anything on my own. I haven't driven it but plan to this week. Not sure if the top functions or not. The owner of the dealership has an outstanding reputation at his new Chevy store next door for what it's worth. A lot of the cars in his classics store are cars he purchased for himself.

Thanks!
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Looking to purchase this 59 Convertible

Post by Steve K »

Welcome to the Forum. If you buy that car you will likely find this the place to be. Quite a few owners of these cars frequent this place. The car looks very nice from what I can see in the pictures. I would venture to guess it has had some significant restoration so there's that. It could be a good thing or not depending on what it was before glossy new paint went on and all that beautiful red leather (or vinyl?).

The only thing that really jumps out at me is some wrinkling of the dash pad and that horrible red paint on the engine. (All that should be BLACK). I would give the following advise. Have the car gone over by an independent mechanic if you can. It would be great if there was a forum member nearby to give you a hand with that. You are usually better off buying a car already in good condition at a higher price than one that needs a lot of work for a lower price. You can easily put 20 K into a car like this if it hasn't been done right. But there is no way to know other than to give it a good checkup. The top is critical as getting those fixed can be vexing. Other than that, if it starts good, runs good, looks good, stops good and everything works, it all depends on if you like it and what you are willing to pay for it.

You didn't mention a price, but if you want to, I am sure the owners of these 58-60 Lincolns will give you good advice. I did notice the plastic instrument cluster lens is cracked. That's common on these. They are available on the aftermarket but are pricy for what they are.

All in all, it looks nice but do your homework. I note you don't have automotive knowledge or skills yourself and that is going to make owning a car like this costly just for the little things it will need over time. It's a good time to get yourself a shop manual and with the help of this forum's members, start taking things on yourself. Otherwise, unless you have money to burn, you might want to get a second job or win the lottery or something : )

None of that is said snarkily or to discourage you. Its just a fact of life that our big beasts are complex machines and you want a good one if you get one at all.

Other's will hopefully add to this, because all of us have gone through various trials and tribulations that we wouldn't trade for anything but which are nevertheless frustrating and costly at times!

Again welcome. Come often and read and learn grasshopper! There's a search function and you can find about anything about a Lincoln there!
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
ScottDixon

Post by ScottDixon »

Thanks Steve! The upholstery appeared to be vinyl. They are asking $27k

I’m in Norman, OK and the car a few miles away in Blanchard if that helps the other folks who stumble upon this thread. I’m going to go back to research mode so that I can ask intelligent questions in the next few weeks.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The Continentals of that period have a following. Not a large one. And the market either hates the car of loves it. Not much middle ground. With a convertible being the highest value.

The asking price seems to be good if the vehicles runs and functions.
Know that it is a very very complex vehicle! Not a good candidate for a first restoration.
The top is a thing of wonder if it works. There are multiple adjustments, relays, switches and wiring to fiddle with if it doesn't work.
Because there are so few of these made, unique parts are extremely difficult to find. Reproduction parts would only be available if they fit some other vehicle.
Buying a similar parts car may be prudent.

There is a guy that restored one in Idaho that detailed his adventures on this forum. If you do buy it.

The upside of a perfect or near perfect copy of a Mark Convertible of that period is in the six figure value range if you can find a buyer.

Besides the paint there are a number of other things under the hood that interesting and non-stock.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

It's a nice car. You should decide if you can afford to repair it when it breaks and ask the dealer if they can recommend a local shop.

It's like any 1959 Lincoln, except some parts will be tough to find. Old tech and not the safest. Make sure it has or you add (or have add) seat belts.

Test drive it, have it inspected, etc. Enjoy it if you buy it.

It's a 60 year old car so it comes with 60 year-old problems.
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

definitely go there with a qualified mechanic. hopefully some one on here is close to help you out. pics are grainy which could be hiding a wavey or orange peely paint job. also pics are from an overcast day. cant see much shine. also no pics of bottom side which the seller raised a red flag saying the undercoating is peeling and could be rusty. you dont want to be chasing rust in these cars. peel the carpet back in the driver's and passenger side. look at the floor pan. my car is 99% solid but had some surface rust in that area that i addressed. check trunk pan. that's another area that rots pretty easily, especially where the top stows away. these cars are not water tight like todays cars. heck they probably leaked from the factory. good luck and keep us posted.
paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I will be driving right through Normal OK about July 8th or 9th. It's possible I could stop and take a look at her with you. Let me know how things progress.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair