Where's the love for 1958-1960 Lincolns?

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Rypsolisti

Where's the love for 1958-1960 Lincolns?

Post by Rypsolisti »

There seems to be very little discussion on '58-'60 Lincolns, where's the love for these beautiful and massive cars? :)

Are there so few of them left or does people not like them? I know atleast one or two people in Finland who have these big Lincolns besides my family but that's about it. Seems like 60's and 70's Lincs are much much more popular among Lincoln lovers. I just love the shape of '58 Mark III Convertible, to me the most beautiful convertible ever build, turns everyones heads where ever you are!

Share your experiences with original Mark III-Mark Vs. I grew up with them so I can only love them. :grin:
Lincolns of my family
'05 Town Car
'95 Mark VIII
'59 Continental Mark IV Town Car
'58 Continental Mark III Convertible
'49 Cosmopolitan Convertible
Sheradan
Occasional Visitor

Re: Where's the love for 1958-1960 Lincolns?

Post by Sheradan »

I have a 1960. A true Mark V coupe. It's popular at shows because few have seen them.
Daniel Brown
Ferndale, CA
1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Coupe
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Oh I love them, as I do all old Lincolns but I would not desire to own one. Just my opinion, but while I do find these cars fascinating and very cool to look at, they are so over the top, I feel the designers lost their sense of balanced ornamentation and proportion, especially the 1958, and just tried to be as outrageous as possible. Then again we have some LCOC club members who feel these cars are the most beautiful Lincolns of all time. Our past President, Glenn Kramer loves the 1960 model and is completely restoring one at this minute. That's what makes Lincolns so appealing to me - each generation from 1921 to the new 2017 Continental has a certain allure to me.
So, while their sheer massiveness and design individuality is terrific to take in at a car event, I don't think you will ever see one of those things in my garage.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

ive had mine for over 10 years. these cars are very expensive to restore and parts are getting more and more scarce and expensive. people shy away from them and gravitate towards the 61+ models, which people identify as a classic lincoln, possibly due to their higher profile on tv and other media.

paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
jeffmounce
Frequent Contributor

Post by jeffmounce »

I think these cars are beautiful, especially as convertibles. When I was a kid in Los Angeles, the lady across the street from us had a massive, black '60 Mark V 4 door hardtop, I swear that car made my Dad's '64 Coupe de Ville look delicate. As far as why they aren't discussed much, it must have to do with production numbers, in the three year run, (1958-1960) a total of around 46,000 were built, compared to about 87,000 Continentals built from 1961 through 1963. As you might assume, they are fairly rare cars today. Another factor might be their size, not everyone had/has garage space for a vehicle that is 19 feet long, the 1961 Lincoln is "only" 17 1/2 feet long.
Jeff Mounce
'70 Continental Mark III, '70 Buick Skylark
2000 Chevy Silverado, 2010 Mercedes Benz E350,
2012 Audi S5
Rypsolisti

Post by Rypsolisti »

You all make good points. Not everyone likes the design, it is pretty extreme.

And they need lots of maintence, old cars as they are today as I found out the other day. I was gonna move '58 Linc on saturday but a problem stopped my intentions, I always disconnect battery cables from the battery and after last time had slammed the hood shut. Problem was that the hood didn't wanna open, for some reason right hand side of the hood would not release. What to do? I haven't gotten around the issue yet. Things like these makes it sometimes hard to live with cars like these, very delicate as both our '58 and '59 are original cars in terms or mechanics and electrics, now really starting to show their age so lot's and lot's of maintance is required.

Thankfully these cars and especially their engines seem robust. :)
Lincolns of my family
'05 Town Car
'95 Mark VIII
'59 Continental Mark IV Town Car
'58 Continental Mark III Convertible
'49 Cosmopolitan Convertible
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

There used to be a few guys in the LCOC and/or this forum that loved these "boxcars". The name, "Walter Higgins", should ring a bell for a few folks here. He's the one that I can recall; but there were a few others.
Last edited by Gerald F. Chase on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gradyjacoway
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by gradyjacoway »

Elvis Presley used to own 1960 Continental Limo,

He bought it brand new.

Grady
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

I recall Walter. Wasn't he the one who wanted to register all the 58-60 Lincolns that he could find? There's a FB page for that now by somebody else. The guy is also registering all the T Birds too and so far has 63,000.
AS for the love of the 58-60 Lincolns it's all a matter of taste. I was 16 when the 58 came out and I was totally captivated by the design. I loved it and still do. These were expensive cars and not everybody could afford one so there were fewer made than, say ,the Chevrolet. Consequently very few people were exposed to them other than passing them on the road and even fewer people ever got to ride in one. In 1969 or so I was offered a newly painted 58 convertible for $200.It was beautiful and ready to roll. Once you own one and drive one you get hooked on it. They are very heavy but very powerful and they go very fast if you want it to. Rides like a dream and the girls love them. Ha! Reason enough to own one.
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

norgale wrote:In 1969 or so I was offered a newly painted 58 convertible for $200. It was beautiful and ready to roll.
Ugh----how painful "the ones that got away". In the mid-1970s I had the chance to buy a '49 Packard with only 2100 miles on it (and it truly looked it!)... for $1800..... and I waited a day too long. Ugh!
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

There is lots of love out there for these Lincolns but it all comes from a very few people. There were about 50,000 of these Lincolns produced for the three years and in comparison they made 37000 TBirds in 58 alone. This car cost Ford a lot of money and they lost something like 20 million bucks in the three years that they produced them. The price should have been up around 10 to 12k but Ford lowered the price to compete with Cadillac and Imperial.SO actually if you have a 58-60 Lincoln you have the most luxurious car ever made up to that point in time. However don't despair if you are looking for one or have one and need parts. There are still thousands of these cars in junk yards, in back yards and covered up in barns all over this country and eventually they will all be found and either restored or parted out. Engines and trannys are still rebuilt everyday and other parts are available at NAPA and lots of other auto parts stores. Some need to be custom manufactured but all can be had for one price or another. Being familiar with the usual suspects is important if you are maintaining an old Lincoln. Kanter is one who has done so much for bringing back parts for our old cars. Also one that I personally am familiar with is Lincoln Land In Clearwater ,Fl. Chris Dunn has been submerged in Lincolns since he was a kid and he knows, and most likely has on hand, any part you want for your Lincoln.Hell he even has brand new perfectly restored Lincolns like ours but you need some deep pockets to buy his quality of work. It's just the best I think.
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
kowolski
Occasional Visitor

Post by kowolski »

I’ve owned 3 60 parts cars over the years.
Never a running driving example
58-60 Lincoln’s are my favorite years.
I dig the outrageous space age race era design.
I would like find a driving example of one.
They do seem to be a bit difficult to work on though.
gkramer47
Former LCOC Pres.

Post by gkramer47 »

Haven't posted for a while...I sure love the '58-'60s!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlacpEPD6yE&t=3s
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Who is this strange man?

Former Mr. President of the LCOC!
Lee
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Lee »

I’m in the unique position of having previously owned a ‘58 for nearly 40 years, and still owning my ‘62 for the last 35 years. While the styling is as opposite as two stable-mates possibly could be, I loved them both, just appreciated different styling aspects. If you are looking for a car that just makes people’s jaws drop…the ‘58 is unparalleled (they toned them down in 59-60 in my opinion). But other days, I just appreciated the quieter, but classic styling of the ‘62. However, from an engineering standpoint, the ‘62 is a much better, and better thought-out car all around. The ‘58 was a slap dash job in comparison. You don’t have to look any farther than the fact that in their 1st year, the coil spring rear ends fell out (yes, fell out!) of enough cars, that by 59, they had completely re-engineered that car and unibody for Hotchkiss leaf springs! That’s a big job, and unheard of for a mid-model change.
1930 A Coupe
1941 LC Coupe
1968 XR-7 (my great-grandfather’s)
1962 LC Sedan (owned 35 years & driven 100k+ myself)