genuine challenges living with a '58, '59, or '60

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of all 1958-60 Lincoln models that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

genuine challenges living with a '58, '59, or '60

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Among the challenges of owning and repairing a "boxcar Lincoln" is obtaining the proper battery and a NOS exhaust system.

I don't know the "group number" for the proper battery; but in my nearby metropolitan area is at least one outfit that can actually make or build one---right in-house---according to the need & specifications.

There at least used to be an auto parts establishment in Lawrence, Mass., called "General Auto Supply", which used to advertise in their local yellow pages that they had IN-STOCK... many thousands of NOS exhaust parts..... going back into the 1950s. The owner's name is / was "Tom". At least at one time, he could pull a full NOS exhaust system from his "archives" to sell you, right over the counter, and then politely ask if there was anything else you need. I guess that he never turned in old exhaust stock for credit from the supplier, distributor, or manufacturer [such as AP, Walker, Arvin, etc.] At one time, he had 40,000 NOS pieces.

Now, somewhere in MY archives, I have a list of the original FoMoCo part numbers for these cars' exhaust systems. I'll go searching... maybe later this evening... for this info and will list it here for the benefit of those who own these fine automobiles. [I might also have the AP brand numbers for 'em.]
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: genuine challenges living with a '58, '59, or '60

Post by linc64 »

Gerald, you can get the correct group 32N battery here: http://www.restorationbattery.com/32nppunch.html
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I have the 56-59 and 60-64 MPCs that have all the exhaust part numbers (supposedly) in them.

If you need part numbers, an MPC is a must! Donations to the forum cover transmission costs. (wink wink).
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

Waldron has an exhaust system for our cars. I bought from the manifold to the axle for mock up. Stainless too. Not sure if it's considered factory correct.

Paul
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

There was a guy here in Ft. Myers, Florida who made replacement exhaust pipes for all kinds of cars. I bought a set from him for my 60 Lincoln and it fit perfectly except for one spot. The pipe coming down from the exhaust manifold had too long a neck on it and hung down about three inches too far. I didn't fix it on my car but it didn't look like too bad a job for any good exhaust shop to fix. The price was $250 for the set with only the mufflers, no resonator. If somebody can remember his name I will look up the address for you. Pete
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Pete, Was that guy named "John Kepich"? I had a poor experience with him long ago.. and never forgot. Waldron, on the other hand, is very reputable!
norgale
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by norgale »

Hi Gerry. Good to talk with you again. .Kepitch does sound like the name. I'll look that up and see if it's the same guy. I will say that he has the masters for tons of pipes from a lot of cars in a Quonset type garage and the whole building is full. The one problem I had with the too long neck was an easy fix and he would have fixed it for free had I brought the piece out to him but I never did. Except for that one thing the pipes fit perfectly and even the cross over pipe went in like it should.Your friend up in Lawrence would likely be a great help to many of our Lincolneers. Maybe you could find out if he's still there and in business today.
Meantime Merry Christmas to you. Pete
Pete McGill LCOC 023903M
2006 Dodge Pickup 2500 v-8 Magnum Hemi
1981 Lincoln Continental Mark 6

ON TIME IS WHEN I GET THERE.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Pete... one John Kepich used to operate out of Ohio somewhere..... and my memory tells me (from constantly reading hobby publications from '79 through '99) that I suspected that he had moved to Fort Myers (though operating under a different name: "Classic Exhaust" --- in Ohio, he operated under "Kepich Exhaust"). He was unaware that the rear muffler brackets on the rear mufflers for a '61 - '62 Lincoln... have a square hole in the bottom, for the built-in bracket to swing down, to be bolted together with a short carriage bolt. After the '63 model year, the very rear attachment system is different.

How's the supply of Eighties Town Cars near you these days? They seemed to have almost dried up here, rather suddenly. But maybe I'm impatient for the Springtime sellers to post ads on CraigsList near me. I suppose they're waiting for Spring: I have a few snow flurries here today, in the middle of April... (only a dozen miles from Providence, R. I., as you know)

I'd like to find a good, clean, light paint color 80s TC, with signature leather. I figure that prices down your way should be a bit cheaper than here.... but I would have to figure the cost of getting it up here.. so..... Anyway, I'll keep looking.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Classic Exhaust is owned by a guy named Scott and is still in business. Bought two complete systems from him for my 67s. Good stuff.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham