Eighties Power Steering Pumps

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Eighties Power Steering Pumps

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Does the common error of using Dexron in power steering systems.. increase the likelihood of PS pump leaks?

The owners manuals call for Type F in said systems....... though Dexron is okay for the transmissions.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Eighties Power Steering Pumps

Post by TonyC »

The steering systems still used Type F in the '80s?? I didn't know that; I would have thought they changed those systems as well to use power-steering fluid instead, like GM did.

But if it states Type F, use Type F. The formulas between Type F and Dexron are incompatible, so mixing them is not a smart idea; such a mix can and very likely will cause the affected system to eat itself up. And some of the Usual Suspects also warn against using power-steering fluid in systems that call for Type F, because that formula may not be compatible. I tend to lean towards that recommendation, unless the steering fluid happens to state that it is in fact formulated to be compatible with Type F (I do remember seeing some fluids that did state that in the past, but they are very rare).

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Eighties Power Steering Pumps

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I used Mercon V in my ‘87 power steering system without ill effect.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham