A/C: different from '85 to '88 ?

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

A/C: different from '85 to '88 ?

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I notice that my '88 TC's air conditioning compressor cycles on and off. [I don't know if this is related to the fact that my '88 has been converted to R134a.] And maybe it needs some additional R134a ?

My '85 does not cycle on and off. It's still running COLD on R12.. at 31 years old! Cool: quite literally. : )

What 'bugs' me.. is that I can easily feel when my '88's A/C compressor cycles on.. in terms of less engine output and being less smooth. Sure, these 302s are hardly powerplants with a lot of power.. but..... Of course, I suspect the rotten do-gooders within the federal government and/or the EPA for this production change. Does anybody remember freedom? All we have now is slavery.. to pop culture & TV. Yuck!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: A/C: different from '85 to '88 ?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The cycling is normal to prevent freezing inside the evaporator. You may have a bad temperature sensor triggering too early, need a charge, or both.
Does anybody remember freedom? All we have now is slavery.. to pop culture & TV. Yuck!
If I remember, this is by your own choice. And the gov't doesn't do it to you, corporate america does it.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: A/C: different from '85 to '88 ?

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Well, Dan; This is why I do not have a television set in my house... and haven't since Feb., 1981. That's 35 years for which those polecats cannot invade my mind. Also, it was a decided advantage and reason why my children turned out good. If I am responsible in every way, to take care of my children, they're going to learn to think like I, their father, teach them to think. No "bee-hive" is going to subvert their minds.. via an electronic device in my house.

And we're all up-to-date on the news, via newspapers, car radios, and responsible 'net surfing. They were NOT going to be PASSIVELY subjected to stuff I deem bad.. via subtle, no-good rats. Too many people let the TV do the thinking for them! This is why the average American is NOT as 'sharp' as they were roughly 50 years ago.