outside driver's door "pull" or "handle"

This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Forum rules
This sub-forum is for discussion of very general discussion of 1980-89 Town Cars that is not suitable to the other specific sub-forums asking for advice.
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

outside driver's door "pull" or "handle"

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I need a confirmation about 1980s Town Car door outside door handles.

My local L-M dealer say that Ford no longer "services" or sells the outside door handle [ E25Y5422405A ] for these cars. [Actually, I have difficulty calling them a door "handle" since the device on the outside of those doors do not have a "handle", per se----they're like doors on Ramblers from about 63 years ago.]

Anyway, my local junkie can't get me a used one this time, but did offer me an "aftermarket" part, for a reasonable price. Yet he claimed that said handle fits the driver's side REAR door, as well. Now, BAKER'S AUTO states that ALL door handles for these cars are all different from one another on the same 80s TCs; and further, do not currently have any driver's door handle for sale. Go figure... even at their asking price three years ago of at least $150. When I replaced mine the first time, they had some.... but at twice the price of my local junkman operation, I bought one from my local junkie. He can't get another now.... three years later.

So, I need the experts here to tell me whether this "aftermarket" outside door handle / pull will fit and work..... or, will it not? You guys tell me.
wasagachris
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: outside driver's door "pull" or "handle"

Post by wasagachris »

I can't answer your question but did find the part at two suppliers as an NOS part.
http://www.rearcounter.com/E25Y-5422405 ... 86643.html
1961 Lincoln Continental 4 Dr Sedan,
1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car 4 Dr,
1987 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series Stars & Stripes Edition
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Thank you kindly.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Well, I don't know from experience or even observation, I'm just guessing. But I think it would be logical for them to all be different--not from the outside appearance (the visible side), but from the inside (the concealed side), where the latching links attach. A front door "handle" could be different from a rear-door "handle"; and the other side would be mirror-images of the one side. So if the fronts and rears are different already, then that would make for four differently-constructed "handles."

(Yes, I agree with your putting the word in quotes :wink: )

But being different from year to year? That would really suck--I never noticed any difference in their designs in the '80s.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Here's the 80s outside door handle assembly info from the 80-89 MPC:
80s Door Handle PNs
80s Door Handle PNs
Front and Rears are the same. They are available in Left and Right models.

80-87 Continentals without keyless are the same.
Keyless cars starting in 88 have a diffrent PN (F00Y-54 2404-B RH and 2405-B LH).

82-89 TOWN CARs use the same door handles as the 80-87 Lincolns and Continentals.

I found the DHs at Rockauto as aftermarket parts.
VARIOUS MFR FO1310109 {#E25Y5422405A} $13.33
DORMAN 77180 {#E25Y5422405A} Bright Finish $33.79