First Gen Mustang owned by the man with his name on the car

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

action
LCOC Regional Director

First Gen Mustang owned by the man with his name on the car

Post by action »

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/ ... cc5e8e31bd

An interesting article about a '66 Mustang built for Henry Ford II and used in Europe. He had the nickname of Hank the Deuce. Or just the Deuce. However I am not sure anyone ever called him that name to his face. At least not at the company. He was rather dictatorial and when he was upset at company people they tended to lose their job. Calling him anything other than Mr. is a bit out of place. But that is not the point of the story.

The Mustang shown is very interesting. Things that seem out of place for me (besides a very custom built pony ride on a production car that was made by the manufacturer) are as follows:
1) Looks like there is a car alarm under the hood on the passenger's side. When you are the Chairman and CEO of the company, your personal ride doesn't need an alarm. Yeah I get that the vehicle was kept in Europe, but the company has tens of thousands of employees in Europe. Trust me, in that era, there was a guy if not more than one guy that was assigned to handle corporate owned vehicles. All of which were stored in secured enclosed areas with guards. When I say handle I mean everything. Likely the fuel tank had to be filled to the top with race fuel. If it got to be more than so many months old and the Deuce had not driven the car, the fuel would be drained and refilled. That kind of handling! If something happened to the car while it was owned by the company, someone's employment was going to be very much shortened. So the alarm was not needed! If it was installed after that period, I would not want an alarm installed. Remove it and put it in a box if you must for the auction. The auction for this type of ride will be in six figure land.
2) Chrome air cleaner!? I don't think Hank the Deuce cared about anything under the hood. Except for ..... it better be the biggest GD engine offered at the time and chrome valve covers would have been an option. (A dealer option but optional none the less) Not sure he would have ever raised the hood open. He had people for that. So the non-original air cleaner seems out of place. In fact, I am sure he told some subordinate to have the car built. He wanted X and X and they made it happen. A stock air cleaner would fit much better into that situation.
3) Red shocks? Not sure what brand of shocks are on there. And pretty sure that was not how it looked when built. And that IS the point of this vehicle and the auction. Not to sell a modified 66 Pony Car. To sell Henry Ford's car. Some one has gone to the effort of using period correct tower hose clamps, the correct positive battery cable and even fan belts that appear to have Ford or Autolite markings. The red shocks seem out of place. Maybe I am wrong on that. Not sure

Maybe I am picky or too ... something. I bet this normally sub six figure car will sell for a quarter million or more. At that price point I would want nothing more, nothing less than ... well .... what the Deuce got.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: First Gen Mustang owned by the man with his name on the

Post by action »

I am sure this restorer would know was was correct ...
http://anghelrestorations.com/parts.html

Located in essentially my back yard. The kind of Pony Car restorations done here go to the level of what the CEO of the company would have expected from brand new rides made for him and his family.

I have been meaning to go to an open house. They did not have one last January because of COVID. May be next Jan!

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: First Gen Mustang owned by the man with his name on the

Post by action »

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”