Audi Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

rick
Lincoln Maniac

Audi Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Post by rick »

Until recently, I'd never even heard of this stuff or what it does. But then my daughter bought an Audi diesel. She asked me to help her fill up her diesel exhaust fluid tank with a product called Ad Blue. I looked it up, purchased 2 gallons and then showed up at her place when she got off work. A few minutes later I'd managed to shatter her plastic filler cap (it is shaped in the form of a lug in order that the spare tire lug wrench will fit it)...... I'm assuming the dealership had previously tightened this plastic cap way too tightly. Since the top part of the cap (the lug wrench part) is now gone...... what was left was a plain "gas cap" looking circular cap and it is simply on so tightly that it cannot be loosened by hand..... and my daughter and her husband didn't want me breaking anything further. I feel very badly and will try to replace this shattered cap.

Anybody have experience with AdBlue?

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Audi Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)

Post by rick »

Well, one day later and I can now reply to my own post. :grin: :grin: Turns out the dealer did indeed tighten the cap too tightly.

I spoke with an Audi mechanic today (friend of a friend) who assured me that filling up the Diesel Exhaust Fluid reservoir is just like putting gas in your car. Audi sells special half-quart bottles of this fluid (their own brand) that fit right onto the neck of the filler tube..... or you can simply buy a 2 gallon container (like I did) that comes with it's own spout. Then simply remove the cap like it's a gas cap and pour in this fluid.

By the way, Diesel Exhaust Fluid is a liquid that is sprayed (misted) out of an injector into the exhaust gases nearing the end of the tailpipe. This fluid does something to the exhaust that helps lesson the carbon footprint. (sure it does :lol: )......... while happily leaving a white residue all over your asphalt driveway. I figure it was a clever way for Volkswagen and Audi to get around having to detune their engines to pass emissions.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

It's not just VW/Audi, all new diesel trucks use DEF. I believe transport Canada requires it, but I'm not sure about U.S. requirements.
In Alberta, it has been deleted by the occasional "oil patch" truck owner.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

It's everywhere not just Canada.
They'll probably find out that residue is worse then what it cleans.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”