Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

rick
Lincoln Maniac

Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by rick »

When fully loaded, the new Grand Wagoneer is a $111,000 vehicle. Apparently it's bigger than the Escalade and Navigator. Guess it's a warning of sorts for GM and Ford that they have some competition. I took a look at some of the Wagoneer's marketing material and I'm willing to bet this Jeep will make a dent in the land yacht market.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Post by papawayne »

wow, Rick, around these parts Jeep has a less than stellar reputation for quality.
Something about computer problems that make them stop running. I wonder what their quality standard is with asking for a hundred grand? Wayne
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Here is an article
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/ca ... ium=UpNext

The other possibility is the full sized lux SUV market is so crowded and Jeep is very late to the market, (30 years late) it may not sell as well as expected.
And six figure SUVs have to be attractive for the manufacturer.
The typical pattern for a new entry is a lot of sales at first and then not so much. COVID may or may not have some impact.

Lincoln has been selling Navigator since 1998
Cadillac has been selling Escalade since 1999
Both have been selling an extended length version since 2003 for Lincoln and 2002 for Cadillac. However Cadillac stopped a couple year back because of sales
Then there is BMW, Infiniti, Land Rover, Lexus, Mercedes & Toyota Land Cruiser

Cadillac has been the sales leader in the full sized SUV market for a very long time. I am sure manufacturers have an eye to the market place to see what will happen. In recent years Cadillac has sold 25,000 to 35,000 Escalades each year while Lincoln has sold 15,000 to 18,000 Navigators

It will be interesting to see what part of the full sized SUV niche Jeep Grand Wagoneer will capture.
Buyers long ago moved away from personal luxury cars into the SUV market. Can another player carve out some more sales in the full sized SUV market?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

The one thing jeep has going for it is its history. But in that price range it's a petty big gamble. They're also going to have lower priced Wagoneer so that might end up being the one that sells better. I always liked the original but my next suv will probably be another full size GM :auto-swerve:
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

That price may be less in U. S., but still hefty. A friend of mine spent almost $120,000 on a Diesel Ford last year, and with less than 1000 km., it was hit by a tornado! Every panel had to be replaced, but he says they fit better now, than when new!
I think gas powered luxury SUV's could all sell well, as the end nears, as did the last full sized Lincolns in '79.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

frasern wrote:I think gas powered luxury SUV's could all sell well, as the end nears, as did the last full sized Lincolns in '79.
1979 was not a particular good year for Lincoln with sales dropping around 30% versus 1978. Also, these sales did not come without rather large discounts especially in the last several months of the model year. 25% to 30% off list was not uncommon on Continentals and Mark Vs at the end of the 1979 run. Rapidly rising gas prices and interest rates which continued into the 1980s definitely put a damper on sales.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”