Tesla's competition

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

action
LCOC Regional Director

Tesla's competition

Post by action »

Being built in my back yard. (On extremely cheap land I might add)

The next all electric vehicle to be manufactured.
Now taking orders for model year 2022
Lucid Air

https://www.lucidmotors.com/air/reserve ... subscribed

I have been following this company for about 3 years because of a client of mine was involved.
They bought some very cheap land near a rail head in a rural city.
With in commutable distance for areas South of Phoenix.
Been following the marketing they have produced.

And today they announced they are taking advance orders.
It will be interesting to see what impact on the electric car market this company will have once they start rolling vehicles off of the line.

As for me, I like my BTUs from old dinosaurs. And I have been called an old dinosaur. Which is OK

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Tesla's competition

Post by ContiFan »

Elon Musk looks to be readying himself for new competition from companies like Lucid. When Lucid announced the $69,900 (after federal tax credit) starting price of the Lucid Air a couple of weeks ago, Elon soon after tweeted a further price cut on the Tesla Model S Long Range Plus down to $69,420. Tesla had just reduced the base price to $71,990 a few days before and another $5,000 back in May. The lowest priced Lucid Air isn't even expected to be released for over a year. Competition in the EV world is really going to heat up. Tesla better get its act together when it comes to quality and customer service as they seem to have a lot of issues there right now.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I bought stock in Lucid last year; I like the design. Unfortunately for me, I will have to wait to get another EV until the charging infrastructure gets better. Under normal circumstances, I make 4 or 5 long distance trips (over 160 miles) and can't wait hours to charge up on the road.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

GMC seems to have an EV Hummer, or is that old news? Wayne
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Hummer EV is $112,000.00 1000 horsepower for now
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

General Motors has a few new BEVs due out in the next couple of years including the GMC Hummer, Cadillac Lyriq and Cadillac Celestiq. Plus, they already have the Chevrolet Bolt.

Ford has the Mustang Mach-E new for 2021 and a Transit BEV coming next year.
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

For those who are comfortable with smaller automobiles, something like the electric Mustang may work. It seems as though the base price point is competitive (lets face it, few people buy a base vehicle)

Personally, I just don't need to drive what I view as a smaller, two-door platform for everyday transportation, but I can certainly understand that others are drawn to it.

When I see Hyundai and Kia getting away from two door vehicles for the North American market I just wonder if Ford is taking a chance by using the Mustang's sport heritage as an entry point to the market. That could backfire. It doesn't look like a Mustang so why call it one?

The electric Cadillacs on the other hand look pretty cool in my view and are possibly more in line with what the North American driver with lower daily mileage requirements might be drawn to. Not sure what they will cost.

For me and my situation here in Canada, the cold weather five months of the year still manages to significantly degrade the mileage range of electric vehicles. The Mayor of our small town has been driving a Tesla these past five years. After a few adventures, he doesn't take it to Ottawa in cold weather (80 miles round trip as the crow flies but obviously more miles added if several downtown stops)

If I were living year round in the southern States, where winter doesn't play such a large role I might be tempted to buy something larger and more luxurious. Maybe.
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm late to this, but happy to talk about any and all EV progress. There are entire forums and websites for each and all of them.

Anyone who hasn't driven a Tesla, Bolt, Kona, Soul EV, ID4 or other modern EV, should try before attempting to pass judgement on EVs. I don't recommend the Leaf, but that's a long story.

I assure you, once you get used to charging at home or at work, not going to gas stations weekly, bi-weekly, etc, you will NEVER want to go back to doing that. Once you get used to NOT changing oil twice a year, you will wonder why you tolerated it.

Putting any political motivations aside, EVs have a place in the future. The tech is finally here to make it possible.

I have a Cybertruck on reserve. $100 is nothing. I look forward to driving it to Dave's house.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I won't be buying one any time soon. I've driven them before and think there neat but I don't buy cars new and there's too much cost of battery replacement and other electrical problems that could pop up to want a used one.

The whole mustang thing is weird. Unless they plan on dropping the mustang we're familiar with at some point and want the name to live on there's no point to the name. Its not enough like a mustang to get mustang people wanting it and an ev buyer wouldn't be after it for the name only either. They have a lot of other names on their junk pile that were on popular cars they could have used for it.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

rick wrote:When I see Hyundai and Kia getting away from two door vehicles for the North American market I just wonder if Ford is taking a chance by using the Mustang's sport heritage as an entry point to the market. That could backfire. It doesn't look like a Mustang so why call it one?
Mitsubishi did something similar when then used "Eclipse" (specifically "Eclipse Cross") as the name for their new crossover.

Some purists were disappointed when sports car brand Porsche starting selling crossovers but many have since come around and Porsche has been doing quite well with crossover sales. A lot of people that would've bought sports cars decades ago are buying crossovers these days,

rick wrote:The electric Cadillacs on the other hand look pretty cool in my view and are possibly more in line with what the North American driver with lower daily mileage requirements might be drawn to. Not sure what they will cost.
The Cadillac Lyriq is expected to start at around $55,000 to $60,000. I believe it will be similar in size to the current Cadillac XT5 which starts at $44,990 for 2021.

The Celestiq is expected to start at around $200,000. Obviously, a "halo" car initially but will presumably be the basis for cheaper models later on.

These are U.S. dollars.

rick wrote:For me and my situation here in Canada, the cold weather five months of the year still manages to significantly degrade the mileage range of electric vehicles. The Mayor of our small town has been driving a Tesla these past five years. After a few adventures, he doesn't take it to Ottawa in cold weather (80 miles round trip as the crow flies but obviously more miles added if several downtown stops)

If I were living year round in the southern States, where winter doesn't play such a large role I might be tempted to buy something larger and more luxurious. Maybe.
A lot of new BEVs will be coming to market this decade but ICE vehicles and electric/ICE hybrids will continue to dominate sales for a while, especially in North America.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

papawayne wrote:GMC seems to have an EV Hummer, or is that old news? Wayne
GM's Hummer launches fall next year as a $114K model (top of the line, fully everythinged) and is already sold out. How many sold?
No idea.

The real roll out is this:
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 8.42.58 PM.png
With this timing, I don't think Rivian or Tesla has anything to be afraid of. Their markets may not even cross (different buyers).
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

A $70,000 vehicle and a six figure vehicle are not the same buyer.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”