Notice how few good radiator shops are left?

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Notice how few good radiator shops are left?

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

I reside about eleven miles NorthEast of Providence, R. I., just over the Mass. border. We used to have six or seven good radiator shops within easy distance. That was a decade or two ago. As of two years ago, there was only ONE left. He had tanks big enough for truck, bus, & heavy equipment radiators.... so you know that he was quality-oriented. I bet that you can imagine what the Feds / EPA did to his costs of business! (chemicals, waste disposal, etc.)

Suddenly, the owner of the one good radiator shop died. Now there is NO good radiator shop around me. I know that someday I'll have to try to find a replacement. Some things a car simply has to have. You can get by with a dead radio, for example.... but a good, reliable radiator is critical.

What has complicated this arena... is the advent of cheap, poor-quality radiators on the market.... usually made in Indonesia or similar place. They do not last more than one year: I know from experience!

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgment."
Last edited by Gerald F. Chase on Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Notice how rare good radiator shops are left?

Post by papawayne »

Baker's is right in your neighborhood, who are they using for a radiator shop these days? I know they use one because many years ago, when Ron was still at the helm, I busted a radiator in Woodstock, CT and My father in law pointed me to the shop he once used and at that shop I counted 20 or 30 expansion tanks on the shelf ready to go back to Baker's. Wayne
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Times have changed. Instead of fixing and repairing, the mentality is “tear it out and throw it away, let’s get this new, made in China POS to install”. Because “new” is always better, right?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

The same thing is happening with chrome shops. I discovered last year that Arizona has a law regarding that process or chemicals or?? Such that there isn't a re-chroming shop in Phoenix. Most have closed and the one or two that are left will take an order and ship it out of state for the work. (One can find radiator shops here. At least one in Phoenix)

As to the aluminum replacement radiators, yeah I don't like them.

The market place has changed due to the internet. One can buy a part globally. Making local shops that have a craft to sell have to change the way they market. Either go global and local or close.

As to parts made in Asia, it isn't the country, it is the company. Some very quality automotive things are built in China including Lincoln automobiles. The market place moves towards price and the Chinese market builds to that market. Or a US maker places an order in China giving the specs of I want this made cheaply. The Asians will built it cheap. They will build anything including high quality stuff. The consumer has to change how they buy and the Asians and US companies that place orders in Asia will change the product that is built.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”