bodystyle preferences

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

bodystyle preferences

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

First of all, let me say that this forum is very well designed. I do notice occasionally that I have to 'google' "LCOC on-line Forum".. in order to find it... because it sometimes cannot be found on LCOC.org.

My point of this posting.. is a sincere wondering.. about a phenomenon that I personally don't understand. "Why do so many older luxury car buyers prefer two-door models? I really do not understand this. I concede that such makes prices for four-doors to be less [not including 60s LCCs, of course].

There is no question over the greater popularity for Lincoln Marks, such as the IIIs, IVs, and Vs, compared to "plain ol' regular Lincolns. And the quality most certainly is there, within these models. [I find this to be true even among lovers of old(er) Cadillacs, even the RWD models.]

I freely admit that I prefer four-door autos. Admittedly, the two-door cars "look nicer".. more 'stylish'. But the doors on a Mark seem three miles long to a guy like me.... and inviting someone to get in or out of a Mark-series Continental.. is like inviting them over to your house, and expecting them to sit in a closet. On top of that, anyone over 5' 10" have legs that will be genuinely cramped for room in a Mark... (or a Coupe de Ville, for that matter). I just "don't get it". Is it me? Am I weird?

I've seen some ads lately for nice Mark Vs, in colors that I like... and I confess that they are tempting.. because of quality and 'appointments'..... but then I come back to reality and realize.. that if I ever bought one, I would be sorry within the first hour of ownership. But they sure are pretty.. and 'stylish'. Sigh.
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: bodystyle preferences

Post by defrang »

Friends appreciate their own rear door and lots of leg room.
Robert DeFrang
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

This is my opinion on the topic: For the most part, I prefer 2-door models to 4-door models, unless the 4-door model has clap-door configuration (which means the Suicide Lincolns and Thunderbirds, essentially).

Where model kits are concerned, I have little choice in the matter, since the overwhelming majority of kits were done as 2-doors, even when there were also 4-door versions of the cars. But in my collection, I am proud to say that I have more 4-door models than 2-door models.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't know why you don't bookmark us, Gerald. Googling us or going somewhere else to come here is so... 90s.

I wanted a coupe, because you get a big window and that more open feeling compared to a sedan. However, if you ever drive more than 1 other person, a sedan is just better because everyone gets their own window.

I prefer convertibles, and the more doors, the better.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I prefer four doors when it comes to the slabsides, because what’s the point unless it has “suicide” doors? That’s a big part of what makes the car, in my opinion. Call me weird, but having owned both a 67 convertible and sedan, I actually prefer the closed car.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
siglumous
Occasional Visitor

Post by siglumous »

Like Nick, I've owned a handful of Lincoln convertibles, sedans, and coupes, and far prefer the sedan. Love the roof line, the shape of the rear window, and the way the roof adds a feel of structural stiffness to the ride. That said, Lincoln coupes and convertibles do fit on my top ten list.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”