I'm so done with my Tesla...

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

I'm so done with my Tesla...

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

So the saga is now over. Bottom line, the radio is working the way it is supposed to; even though it comes on whenever it wants. The engineers found nothing wrong with it, so they can't/won't do anything more. Today I had ANOTHER problem with the folding mirrors, which they will fix.

I'm stuck with this poor quality car until my lease is done in March, 2020. Will never get another Tesla again, and I suggest you don't either. If you do, be forewarned.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Re: I'm so done with my Tesla...

Post by linc64 »

Sorry to hear that Stu. Maybe in 2020 you should get a Continental!
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
WhiteLightning
Frequent Contributor

Post by WhiteLightning »

well thats the tesla way better to just buy a hybrid the company nor the tech is not up to the task yet
1956 Continental Mark II
1969 Continental Mark III
1979 Mark V collectors series triple white
1982 Mark VI 4-door signature series pewter
1982 Mark VI 2-door signature series triple red

No man is an island, some man are peninsulas
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sorry to hear that Tesla was not able to fix the issue satisfactorily. How is the car otherwise? How is it handling the colder temperatures now that winter is truly here and kicking our asses? My Bolt has seen great reductions in estimated range, but my trips are so short, it doesn't matter. I use pre-heat so much that it doesn’t get a chance to really warm up from driving.

I just installed a 30A fast charger and I’m ready for about anything, except going to Chicago in a single day (which is impossible because there is no fast DC charger between here and there).

At least it's a lease and you are only "stuck" with the car for 3 years. You do realize that I am still insanely envious that you have a Model S that can go 300 miles on a charge

How are your solar panels doing? I'm on track to produce 99% of last years total.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Other than the radio and another problem with the mirrors not folding in and out properly, it's good. My KW/m has dropped to 283; about a 15% reduction. This is the first really cold week I'm driving it (we were away during the last cold snap so no driving. I do see I'm charging more frequently due to the cold.

Solar is OK. As of end of November, I'm at 96% of GATS, which is good. Will check it the end of the month to see where I end up for the year. Been cold, but sunny so I might not do so bad.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Haven't posted about the car in awhile and since the lawyer got a settlement from Tesla, I figured I'd post. I had contacted a lemon law lawyer about the car and as per the law, the car had to go in for the same repair 3 times. I only had 2, so I was waiting to see if I could get them to look at the car one more time. In June I had it in the shop for some body work (they nicked the bumper one time they had it) and they did look at the infotainment system again. Came back with "we see the problem but don't know what's causing it". Since that was the third time, I was able to turn it over to the lawyer. He prepared me for what to expect and it turns out he was right. Got the settlement papers today and since I haven't signed them yet I can post about it but once I sign it, I can't (gag order clause).

They are denying there is anything wrong with the car (even though I have an email from them telling me the engineers see the problem but don't know how to fix it), and the settlement is not an admission of liability, but simply a gesture of customer service. It also prevents me from suing them ever again for any reason whatsoever. So, if down the road the car batteries blow up, I can't do anything outside of the warranty. The lawyer warned me it is very one sided and in his experience, it's not just Tesla. All car manufacturers pretty much use the same contract.

So, I'll end up keeping the car and getting almost 4 months of lease payments back. Better than a sharp stick in the eye! Only 17 months till I can give it back to them!
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

So, after a year plus, other than the radio, how is the car? Obviously, the electric life isn’t enough for you to dismiss the troublesome radio.

Will you go back to gas? Other than a Tesla, I don’t think there are any other vehicles that can truly travel the country or great distances because they all lack the charging network that Tesla has.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Other than the infotainment system issues, the car is great. 19 months cumulatively down to 277 w/mi. Not sure what my next car will be; who knows what will happen in the EV world between now and then. If I had to pick now, it would be a hybrid; not sure which one since I haven't been looking.
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

I would never own a car that you can't buy parts for....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuAMczraBIM
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

You can buy parts, you just have to wait forever for them to get here.....
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I’d buy your model S 100D In a heartbeat. But I want an X.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

"I’d buy your model S 100D In a heartbeat. But I want an X."

Well, I'm turning it early (December, 2019) so if you can wait....

Also, do you really need the SUV?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Need? Need??

I don't really want a sedan. I just prefer the extra height and size for big things. I'll rely on the supercharger network for traveling, something I can't do with any other EV.

Although, for the right price, I may compromise.

I'm really waiting for the Y. It will likely be more efficient than the X, like the 3 is to the S.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”