Brakes, belts, tires and shocks Mark IV platform (but Tbird)

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Brakes, belts, tires and shocks Mark IV platform (but Tbird)

Post by ekm330 »

Since I have an established history with the forum, I hope you'll forgive my inquiry again about my 1973 Thunderbird as you did several years ago when I asked about single versus dual exhausts on a 460 and the benefit or not of crossover pipes in a dual setup. But since a Thunderbird is the same platform as a Mark IV, I figured you'd be okay with it :smt004 . (BTW, I went with a dual setup with no crossover pipe for the exhaust.) Brief recap, it's a 1973 triple-black Thunderbird with 32,xxx miles since new that's sat since the exhaust debate several years ago. I brought it to my mechanic yesterday to get full addressing of new brake system components, belts and hoses, shocks and steering dampener, as all are original to the car. And to get the a/c fully blowing cold. The tires are ANCIENT! Michelin 230 15 X. I decided to go with the Cooper Trendsetter tires with a modest whitewall. I had them on my former '67 LCC and former '73 triple-black Thunderbird. Not much choice in that tire size with a whitewall and I didn't like the Hankook sidewall "business." I want to do this car justice and put the best parts possible back on. My mechanic said he can find components from Rock Auto, which is on the good parts vendor's list, at least some years ago. Is this still the case?

Next up are the '67 Conti sedan and '78 DJE. I've been neglectful and let them sit for a long time :smt010

Thanks!
Kent
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Brakes, belts, tires and shocks Mark IV platform (but Tb

Post by action »

Rock Auto has been a good source for parts at a discounted price. With some exceptions they are the same quality of parts as any other fast moving parts store would carry. (Auto Zone, Checker/O'Reillys, Pep Boys. BTW there is an Auto Zone in St Pete. Has shocks and brakes for your ride.) Some of the parts Rock Auto has on hand came from stores that have closed. Those parts may have been sitting for a long time. Not an issue for metal parts, may be an issue for rubber or plastic parts. (Belts, hoses, shocks)

I have used them for a lot of vehicles. Have gotten good parts and have gotten bad parts. The return process is a bit cumbersome and he whole process is longer than local sources. In addition the low price of the part is kind of off set by the shipping charges. Buying lots of parts from them at the same warehouse will save you some. They have several warehouses so buying from different Rock Auto warehouses will get more spendy on shipping.

The objection about your tires and stating that you want the best parts possible doesn't exactly fit with in Rock Auto's market niche. Rock Auto niche is older vehicles and discounted prices. Most of the items you list could be obtained locally. And while Rock Auto does carry some premium parts, a local fast moving parts store may carry a premium part with a lifetime warranty. Usually a lifetime warranty to me is the part is made better so they don't have to pay for warranty replacements.

Here is my general rule with Rock Auto, if I am not in a hurry, if it isn't available locally and if I wait for a larger order I will place one Rock Auto. Personally being a stickler for the OEM look certain parts have to be a certain brand. You are seeking regular replacement parts so it may not be a big deal. They are a big web only organization. They know what they are doing and will carry some parts that are not available anywhere,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”