Importing advice

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Importing advice

Post by Castrosua »

Ok, so, you guys are gonna call me nuts, but Im in the plans of bringing in a couple of odd vehicles from Europe. They're two buses, one short (40ft) the other long (60ft). Im still looking for the best one I could buy (best advice for any vehicle, right?), and although Id like a 79-83 of this particular model, Im probably only going to find 92-97. They look virtually identical and have the exact same engine/trans in them. (In case you were wondering they are DAC 112UDM and a 117UD)

So, Im curious what Im going to have to do to import them. I can find lots of advice about cars, and even trucks (eek, chicken tax) but where does a bus fall under? I dont plan on using them for fair or hire, just to add to my collection. (My grandfather was involved in the design of these things in the old country).

I know there's duty (2.5 percent). If that applies to buses, Im good, because these things go for the price of scrap metal over there (so about 3k for the shorty, 4k for the bendy)

Im a bit worried about EPA and DOT stuff. I'd like to get them so theyre over 25 years old, but still, Im not sure what applies and how. Ideally, Id be driving them from the port to wherever Ill be taking them. (I plan on moving to SD sometime next year, so there might be some overlap of where Ill keep them. NY does seem to be easy to register using a bill of sale, so that and import papers should be good enough. I hope).

Another thing that MIGHT be relevent. One of them (the bendy) was imported in the US in '83 and it ran for MSBA (Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority, ie on Long Island in NY). They had two for about a year, so they were registered, DOT-ed an all. They went back to their home after the demo program ended but sadly the contract didnt go through.

So anyone have any advice? From whats a good port to bring them in (easier and faster for paperwork) to what taxes too look up, fees, labor etc. I will be getting these things running well (since they ran there, there's plenty of knowledgeable mechanics. Plus I'll be loading them with parts. Is that an issue? An extra motor, windshields and other hard to find (impossible in the US) glass pieces and light lenses etc.

I know its crazy, but I remember them when I was young, and thought they were cool (the Long Island ones) and then I find out my grandfather worked on their design. He passed away, and I want something to be left of his work, since all of the ones running in Romania are being scraped without mercy.

Thanks guys,
Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Importing advice

Post by Castrosua »

I see nobody knows...I kind of expected this.

Well, that bus was a no go, but I have my eyes on another one, and it may happen, if the planets align that is. Local shipping to port, the ro-ro (the biggest issue so far), customs (the least difficult, go figure), registration (peace of cake) and driving her home from one of the NY area ports.

Parking will be tricky too. I would like to be close, but in a pinch, I can get RV storage or something like that. I will have time once the bus is at sea (you don't say that sentence often lol).

Wish me luck!
Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Just saw this article posted by the LCOC on book of faces. You may think twice about these imports with the new tax reform that just passed.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... car-owners
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

This bill is on the discussion stage. However I believe it is part of the tariff war that the administration is currently waging. (Primarily with China)

If some one is considering importing a vehicle that would be hit with this tariff, now would be the time to pull the trigger. As late would cost one 25% more if passed.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I stand deservedly corrected as Action mentioned. Just proposed at this stage, but something to consider.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

If your vehicles are over 25 years old then the paperwork for US Customs and the EPA waiver is actually pretty easy and the fees are very small. The forms total about three pages and a considerable portion of that length is a list of check boxes where you have to pick one. Registration should be straightforward in most states if the vehicle is actually legal to import. The port of Baltimore is a relatively common destination from Europe and you should not find vehicle shipping from that port to be challenging to arrange.

If there is something particularly challenging about the vehicle in terms of registration and you want or need it to be easy, Florida's DMV is seemingly an anything-goes clown college for registering imported foreign vehicles. That's why the state is littered with imported high performance mid to late 90's right hand drive cars from Japan that have not hit their 25 year limit to be legally registered for road use (and should also pretty be hard to import so I'd guess they are coming overland from Canada to bypass US Customs).

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”