So I bought an Electric Car...

Discuss automotive and auto-industry-related items here. Non-Auto topics are not permitted.

Moderators: Dan Szwarc, Continental69

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: So I bought an Electric Car...

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Linmk56 wrote:Congrats on your purchase Dan. I do have a few questions:

Are you getting the range you were expecting? Any loss of range at night due to headlights etc?

I've wondered how the HVAC system works, is it sort of a Heat Pump like device with an electric compressor?

How long does it take to charge at your home?
Haven't owned it long enough to answer those questions. It doesn't have a heat pump, but rather a conventional AC compressor (I think), but it looks like it has a dedicated coolant system for heat and that is heated electrically.

The car comes with a pathetic AC charger rated to 12 amps. It will add a whopping 4 miles per hour of range to the car and about 40 miles overnight. I've been sick at home so the car has been topped off. Now, I have nowhere to go in it until i feel better.

I can install a charger at home that would use 32 amps at 240V AC and charge the car about 20-25 miles per hour or full in about 8 hours.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

LINC400 wrote:One thing that is never discussed with electric cars is how it affects your electric bill. When you turn on the air conditioning or put up lots of Christmas lights, your electric bill skyrockets here. I would think charging a car every night would do the same.
Yeah. My electric bill is going up. But I don't buy gas anymore. No more spilling gas. No more smelly, dirty stations.

It also costs less to operate. About 40% less to operate than my 37-42 mpg Mini did. That's ideal, so figure it will be about 30% less. If I drove a Lincoln all the time, I'd save enough to buy a Tesla!

Also, my solar panels generated about a 2.5 megawatt-hour surplus last year, saved as a credit by my local utility. My math says I'll be tapping into that surplus so it won't cost me an extra penny.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Congrats Dan, may I ask what the net of credits cost was?

I'll be eager to see it next time I'm there.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
mr.niftie
Frequent Contributor

Post by mr.niftie »

Cool congrats.
Not quite the same, Mrs. Niftie has an MKZ Hybrid and loves it. Nice and snotty and wayyyyy better than the Camry Hybrid we had before in every way.
Enjoy,
Michael
1973 Lincoln Mark IV Silver Edition, full load
2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid RIP
"They even have the Internet for computers now."
Homer Simpson
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

John Mc wrote:Congrats Dan, may I ask what the net of credits cost was?

I'll be eager to see it next time I'm there.
Federal Tax credit on a qualifying EV is $7500.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

mr.niftie wrote:Cool congrats.
Not quite the same, Mrs. Niftie has an MKZ Hybrid and loves it. Nice and snotty and wayyyyy better than the Camry Hybrid we had before in every way.
Enjoy,
Michael
My wife has a 2014 Prius C. We've been phasing out gas for three years, now. I think she averages 45-50mpg.

I'll rely on her car for really big trips IF we can't plan around chargers.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good thing a friend of mine in Germany doesn't know of this forum. If she read that, she'd go ballistic--she's as much a fanatic for Minis as I am for Lincolns. :o

But hers is a '01 or '02 model, the first of the 21st-Century Minis...and since it's manual-shift, she has no worries with the LiquaMatic-type of semi-autos that were the bane of the Minis of that time.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

TonyC wrote:Good thing a friend of mine in Germany doesn't know of this forum. If she read that, she'd go ballistic--she's as much a fanatic for Minis as I am for Lincolns. :o

---Tony
I was disappointed with the MINI. The expensive repairs, the poor quality trim, the shitty XM radio, but mostly, the piss poor dealership service. That thing ate tires. It was economical on gas, though (which is why I bought it).

The only service my Bolt will need over the next two years is a tire rotation and an "inspection" each year.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

See, being on your own grid so to speak, makes a fully electric car worth it. Basically free fuel. I may look into this once I get my own place (Im eyeying some cheap land in SD, in the boonies, as long as a VA hospital is reasonably close).

I am curioous how it does with you, because of all the full electrics, Id buy a GM one myself. (Now, if they made a Camaro electric...id be on that in a heartbeat. You have a Volt, a Bolt, call that one the Shock :lol: )

Al
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Well, two weeks and no issues except a crappy, buggy infotainment system. I fried a GFI circuit in the garage because it was a cheap, chinese outlet (it tripped and won't reset).

I'm sitting on the fence regarding spending the $500-800 for a quick charger. As much as I'd like to be able to put 25 miles of range in a single hour instead of 4, it's quite adequate for my use, right now. I haven't used a third party charger yet because I 'm always able to get home before I run out.

The experiment continues and will for several years.
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

I brought my 62 a few weeks ago to Curt's garage on 11 Mile Road after the Concours of America. Many vacuum leaks, accelerator pump was done, intake manifold gaskets were leaking. 3 days it took. But, they let me use a Prius at no cost and that was fascinating. On the gas engine, off the gas engine and on batteries. Totally intriguing. Also, Curt's services electric cars; there were Volts there in for service and he told me they don't take much. Real nice guys.
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm two months in and I still love driving the car. Weather is still very summer-like, but mild and I've only used the AC twice. I basically only have to charge it on the weekend and try to do it when it is sunny so I am basically charging on solar energy (I also have a 7.6kw solar panel, grid-tied system). I'm still accumulating energy credits so fuel costs are still zero.

It does not cost me a penny to operate my Bolt. My Solar panel investment is covering it, nicely.

I'm planning on getting winter tires as the all-seasons are pretty non-grippy due to being "energy efficient" tires. Although, I'm not expecting much snow in Michigan thanks to climate change, but extreme weather messes with that.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

David sent me this; anyone interested? :lol:
Attachments
IMG_2190.JPG
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I Love it! My wife is working on her 2nd Prius...she loves it for short trips around town, and has even driven it from ME to CT to visit with her family. My experience with both Prii (is that the plural?) is that they are very uncomfortable, after anything more than an hour drive. I'd rather bounce around in my 84 Ranger pickup. My question, Dan, if it hasn't already been answered, is how comfortable is your electric car to ride in? Wayne
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

I can tell you it's comfortable for me. I drove it in June when I was out there last month.

Return to “Misc. Automotive Discussion”