Introduction: Mark III Owners

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Introduction: Mark III Owners

Post by continentalguy »

Hey everyone,

I am looking to help create a 69-71 Mark III Authenticity Manual. Before this project starts, I would love to know who on the forum has a Mark III. So, if you could state what year(s) you own that would be a great start, and if you would want to help on this project.

I'll start out with saying I have a '70 Mark III in its original state. Anyone else please chime in, and I will start a new topic listing what this authenticity manual will cover.
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Introduction: Mark III Owners

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

70 MK III in it's original state also.
No Lincoln currently...
elcad70
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by elcad70 »

Mark III 1970
1970 Mark III Lincoln
mikey4243
No Longer With Us

Post by mikey4243 »

Two 70 Mark IIIs. One runs and drives. Been working on it. I bought the other for a parts car, but, so far it is all there. Needs a gas can/hose setup to run. Perfect red interior makes me uncertain about which (both) to keep.
Lincolns, Trains, Cushmans, Dobermanns, & BEER. 61 LCC SOLD - 61 LC Sedan SOLD- 70 Mark III - 70 - Mark III parts car - 76 Mark IV Lipstick Edition SOLD - 1956 Continental - 59 Cushman Eagle - 60 Cushman Pacemaker - 2 Kegerators, one at the house and one at the "shop." Life is GOOD... LCOC 26176
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Have a low mileage family owned from new '69.

About 10 years ago I've read in the LCOC Continental Comments that there was a Authenticity Manual work going on. Just wonder if there is a POC to obtain whatever they had researched?
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

blkmk69, thanks for joining! I was beginning to think this might be a '70 Mark manual lol. I didn't know about any LCOC research, but I'll look in to it.
-Allan

'54 Lincoln Capri Sport Coupe, '56 Continental Mark II, '61 Lincoln Continental Convertible,
'62 Lincoln Continental Sedan, '70 Lincoln Mark III, '72 Lincoln Mark IV, '17 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

In the last 4 years of LCOC board meetings, I do not remember any Mark III manual ever being discussed.

Even if there was, I think the forum members could put one together more quickly. The LCOC can review and approve it for their use after the fact, and even suggest updates. However, I can't get anyone to use the forum regularly for communication (they use email, but that's a mess). No one wants to add the forum to their communication tools.
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

It was prior to 4 years ago.

Just thought in terms of trying to avoid reinventing the wheel, if there was some ground work already covered.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There might be. Try contacting John Bailey at the LCOC. He's the head of publications and would know who to talk to.
blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Looking through the stack of Continental Cmts, Earle O Brown published an article in #218, Sept/Oct '97 about '71 Mark III Authenticity. IMHO,that which is referenced is also applicable to the earlier years, such as the correct battery, plug wires, and spark plugs. This article also refers to a Bill LaFargue that was spearheading the Authenticity Manual effort.

Suppose I could scan the article and email to those doing the compiling of info.
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

blkmk69,

If you could please email that article I would appreciate that. I think everyone who has replied on our Mark III Authenticity Manual would appreciate it too. Thank you for the helpful info!
-Allan

blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

continentalguy wrote:blkmk69,

If you could please email that article I would appreciate that. I think everyone who has replied on our Mark III Authenticity Manual would appreciate it too. Thank you for the helpful info!
Send the old LCOC article a while ago. Hope if was helpful.

Having such a manual would be helpful for future planned meets.

Brought my Mk to the Dover Eastern Meet this past week and was talking to Earl Brown about the article on '71 Mk III authenticity. He was saying that at the time he had a "71 Mk with 2K miles on it and he thought it was a good idea to document some of the areas of orginiallity from an unaltered car for things like radiator caps, gas tank caps, correct ign wires. These details would come into play when the competition is close.
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

Those things would come in handy! I apologize for not moving forward much on this manual lately, I have started working and it is taking a HUGE toll on my available time lol.
-Allan

blkmk69
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by blkmk69 »

Knowing the correct fuel tank caps, radiator caps, certainly come into play if they are trying to determine a class winner. Windshield wiper blades are another area to look at, There is a post about the original supplier for the wiper blades which became quite detailed and may be used for the purposes ot this topic.

Just like the user that posted about factory identification striping of coil springs, that was triggered because he was working on his frt suspension, it may be a good idea to have members interested in this effort, post observations while working on their Mk III's for areas that would be of the judges interested. For example, was working on the vacuum cans for the headlight doors, and observations can used, such as their correct color, (semigloss black).
continentalguy
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by continentalguy »

This is a very good idea! How about we start taking pictures of components that we know are 100% authentic on our vehicles? Let's get an album started. Should I set up a Photobucket just for our group?
-Allan

Return to “1969-71 Mark III Authenticity Manual”