1977 Continental Wet Sand and Buff.

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: 1977 Continental Wet Sand and Buff.

Post by tomo »

Wet sanding Acrylic Lacquer and lacquer can give good results, but the Acrylic Enamel and multi stage paints can be harmed by wet sanding. The enamels dry with a hard glossy surface that is easily sanded off. It will look good for a while and then turn dull. Multi-stage paint is finished with a glossy clear coat. That can be very thin and easily sanded through, leaving you with a car that needs to be repainted.

There are many less aggressive cleaners and polishes that will bring back oxidized or dirty paint, and they should be used before wet sanding.

To determine your paint, put some lacquer thinner on a rag and aggressively wipe a spot that is hidden, like the underside of the hood or trunk lid. If the color comes off on your rag, you have one of the lacquers. If it does not come off on your rag, be aware that you can fatally damage the paint by wet sanding or using an aggressive rubbing compound.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

tomo wrote:Wet sanding Acrylic Lacquer and lacquer can give good results, but the Acrylic Enamel and multi stage paints can be harmed by wet sanding. The enamels dry with a hard glossy surface that is easily sanded off. It will look good for a while and then turn dull. Multi-stage paint is finished with a glossy clear coat. That can be very thin and easily sanded through, leaving you with a car that needs to be repainted.

There are many less aggressive cleaners and polishes that will bring back oxidized or dirty paint, and they should be used before wet sanding.

To determine your paint, put some lacquer thinner on a rag and aggressively wipe a spot that is hidden, like the underside of the hood or trunk lid. If the color comes off on your rag, you have one of the lacquers. If it does not come off on your rag, be aware that you can fatally damage the paint by wet sanding or using an aggressive rubbing compound.
For sure, you need to have your wits about you. The car was repainted about 30 - 35 years ago and has a clear coat. I had previously clayed and buffed it and although much improved wasn't as good as I had hoped. Wet sanding was the next step. Lots of paint defects in the paint which needed to be corrected.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I don't think one needs to worry about ruining a 30-35 year old re-paint if it has faded and gone to pot.

Wax the crap out of it and it should stay shiny for quite a while. Cleaner wax should help it stay shiny in the future,
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I don't think one needs to worry about ruining a 30-35 year old re-paint if it has faded and gone to pot.

Wax the crap out of it and it should stay shiny for quite a while. Cleaner wax should help it stay shiny in the future,

Yup, the hard part is getting your finish to the point where you're happy with it. Obviously you want to go gradually from least aggressive to more aggressive. Maintaining after that is the easy part.
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

BTW, had this been a single stage paint I would have given it several applications of Megs #7 to replace essential oils. I've done that on a few SS paint cars, and the results are amazing. After that, you're free to work the paint.

Grab yourself a Dr. Pepper and read this pretty long article. Very informative. He even uses a Lincoln! :grin:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask ... aints.html
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

Another #7 rubdown

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask ... llips.html

I assume my Lincoln had single stage paint from the factory. If it still wore that paint, my Medium Red Moondust, monster would have gone through several bottles of #7.
AussieMarkV
Lincoln Maniac

Post by AussieMarkV »

Am pretty sure Lincoln used enamel paint which would be single stage. Was amazing how good a car can be when done skilfully like the guy in Chad's article, just incredible.
An Aussie guy who loves cars.

1978 Silcco four door convertible (to be restored).
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

AussieMarkV wrote:Am pretty sure Lincoln used enamel paint which would be single stage. Was amazing how good a car can be when done skilfully like the guy in Chad's article, just incredible.
Yeah, I loved seeing his before and afters.
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

I need to do some wheel well detailing. What color should those fender bolts be? Body colored or black?

The glossy part is where I experimented with some spray on undercoating. Not happy with the results.

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Those bolts should probably be cadmium plated, as opposed to black-oxide or body color, however, I cannot confirm the assembly process.

There is no authenticity manual for this year. i don't have a low mileage example at my disposal.

If you paint them black, no one will complain.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Hey, could be wrong but I think they were painted body color. Though most often they are covered with undercoating so hard to say.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
chazman
Occasional Visitor

Post by chazman »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Those bolts should probably be cadmium plated, as opposed to black-oxide or body color, however, I cannot confirm the assembly process.

There is no authenticity manual for this year. i don't have a low mileage example at my disposal.

If you paint them black, no one will complain.
You are correct. I saw a pic of an original one.