Cleaning under the hood

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mlj427
Frequent Contributor

Cleaning under the hood

Post by mlj427 »

Looking to clean under the hood of my 1972 Continental. I will use engine degreaser for the engine. What do you guys use to clean the other areas (inner fenders, top of radiator, & everything else)? Car wash soap, windex, spray 9 lots of options but I do not want anything that will remove the labels, and markings.

Thanks
Mike
1972 Lincoln Continental coupe
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Cleaning under the hood

Post by Steve K »

I use 409 on a rag and don't spray it where I don't want it. It's good for inner fenders, air cleaners and other painted parts. Sprayed and allowed to soak a little works good in areas where you don't have to save any markings. I also use Purple Power and my pressure washer on low pressure to get into the grill spaces and places where debris has lodged and can't be reached. I always do it on a hot sunny day so afterwards I can leave the car sitting in the sun with the hood open to get good and hot and evaporate all the water that gets into those crevices. Places inside body panels and between metal surfaces can stay wet a long time, especially if there is dirt and other debris in there to hold onto the moisture. Therefore, letting it get good and hot for a few hours is a good practice I think. I do cover my glass (I have some canvas pieces cut to fit that my wife sewed hems in and we put some magnets in there, That keeps them in place. I try to keep the interior, top of dash, etc. out of direct sun if I'm not driving it. It lives inside the rest of the time so without a good drying, water could definitely hang around awhile if I put it right back in the garage.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
jeffmounce
Frequent Contributor

Post by jeffmounce »

your wife made custom canvas covers for your old Lincoln window glass? You are one lucky guy! wow
Jeff Mounce
'70 Continental Mark III, '70 Buick Skylark
2000 Chevy Silverado, 2010 Mercedes Benz E350,
2012 Audi S5
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

I use Simple Green to clean the engine compartment of grease and dirt, then go over it with detail spray and a rag to get the surfaces looking as factory fresh as possible. I use compressed air to drive the excess water out of the crannies.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

jeffmounce wrote:your wife made custom canvas covers for your old Lincoln window glass? You are one lucky guy! wow
She did and she won't even mend my socks. It's nice having the windows covered when it's sleeping too. I use the car to hide presents. Where else can I lock something up that she isn't going to think I am hiding something from her? Speaking of presents, a bauble now and then does wonders to offset car expenses. My wife prefers Emeralds to any other color of bauble.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair