Vinyl Roof advice- Vinylex

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

BOON250
Frequent Contributor

Vinyl Roof advice- Vinylex

Post by BOON250 »

Hi all

So after reading threads on here I ordered some Vinylex that arrived yesterday . My roof has faded from I guess a dark brown to more a fawn color. I did a test spot that seemed to shine up a bit but colour didn't change a whole lot. I did get a lot of brown coming off on the cloth I used however.

My question is would this be "dirt" even though it looked same colour as the roof or the dye coming out of the roof? Should I continue with the Vinylex with all this brown coming off it? The Vinylex says it cleans but do I need to clean it with something else first?

The car is a 72 Mark IV so I'm guessing I'm really going to have to lay this stuff on fairly liberally to make it have an effect ?

Any advice appreciated.
1972 Mark IV
Triple Brown
1 owner.
JPlincolnman

Re: Vinyl Roof advice- Vinylex

Post by JPlincolnman »

Anybody have any advise about this? I am about to order some supplies to try and save a faded top. Is Vinylex the best product to use?
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There have got to be better products than Vinylex. That stuff is the cheapest and most widely available. That doesn't mean it's not good, but it's probably not the best.

I highly recommend Meguiar's #40 Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner Conditioner. I have used this on many plastics. It leaves a great finish and removes dirt, overspray paint, and surface oxidation.

Meguiar's also makes a product called Flagship Premium Vinyl & Rubber Protectant, Product number: M6424 | SKU: 070382164249. It might be better.

For any product, try a small amount in a non-conspicuous area before going full-bore on a top or seat. It could cause discoloration or finish issues if the vinyl is too degraded or the cleaner too aggressive.
JPlincolnman

Post by JPlincolnman »

Thanks for the reply Dan, I just ordered some of the Meguiar's. Can't wait to get it!