Moth ball odor

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dusty Burton

Moth ball odor

Post by Dusty Burton »

Any tips on how to kill the moth ball odor?? PM used it while in storage for several years and it is potent!! Fabreze just doesn't cut it no matter what their ads say! LOL! Dusty B
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Moth ball odor

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Frequent vacuuming, lots of sunlight for UV, you could try a wet-down and shop-vac suck-up to get it out of the fabric or carpet. leave those windows DOWN as much as possible.

It could take years for it to drop to a reasonable level. It could have permeated the foam in the seats and the padding under the carpet.

Otherwise, gut the entire interior and shampoo, clean, spray, rinse, EVERYTHING, allowing it all to dry in the sun.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

Naphthalene (aka mothballs) sublimate so they goes to gas from solid on its own. Leave the windows down, and aerate the car. I would worry more about other chemicals reacting with the mothballs, or leaving their own odor behind. It will come out but it will take time.

I had some clothes that had a perma moth ball smell, until i said the hell with it and just wore them as is. After a few wears the smell was gone. Granted a car isnt as exposed to the air as clothes (the interior i mean) but still
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
Dusty Burton

Post by Dusty Burton »

K - Thanks! Dusty B