What's Wrong With This Picture?

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

What's Wrong With This Picture?

Post by Steve K »

I'm working on detailing the engine compartment of my 64. The air cleaner, snorkel and manifold saddle are off the car as they just got a new coat of gloss black. So I know there are some things wrong. The carb is not the original Carter, the fuel pump is a 2 port replacement. I have bought a 3 port rebuilt Carter but it's not arrived yet. There is a red wire outside the loom that goes to the Pertronix. Other than those things and some obvious bits that need cleaning, would you guys critique the engine bay and tell me what I can do to correct non-factory appearance? Like I said in the other post, I am going to repaint the body color sections the correct color and after I am done steam cleaning the block and intake, I will be using some engine enamel on those. I am mostly interested in the details you may see. Like the red colored plate near the firewall? The vacuum lines and heater hoses? What is the cable or hose that is cable tied to the AC hose? Is anything painted the wrong color? What decals should be there? I'm going for as original looking as possible without paying someone to do a concourse restoration under there :smt006 Thanks!
Attachments
Motor 1.jpg
Motor 2.jpg
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: What's Wrong With This Picture?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Nylon tie-wraps on the AC lines are likely incorrect, but I'm not 100% sure. Use black ones if you need to hold the lines together or find something a little more 60s-like.

Pics are a little small. Need higher resolution. You can go to 2048x2048 max in each direction. Also, take one form the other side.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Here are some bigger ones.

What is the correct type clamp where I have used screw type hose clamps?
What would be the right thing to do to fix the wires that are no longer in a wire loom? How complicated to use factory appearing cloth? Does it come in a split variety or do all wires have to be pulled through?
Other than dirt, what else are you guys seeing wrong as far as authenticity?
What would the factory have used in place of cable ties?
What is the cable/hose that is cable tied to the AC hose?
What decals came in place from the factory under the hood?
Please be picky. Clicking the pics will enlarge them.

Thanks
Attachments
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
8.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg
17.jpg
18.jpg
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Do you want me to point out your lack of any factory decals?

I won't point out anything related to condition, just authenticity and correctness.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

I'll take any and all critiques. I have no pride as this is concerned. It's about the way I bought it from the original owner other than some repairs I have made to some windows etc. This is my first foray under the hood and I want it to be right. Some things I will do now, others will wait until I am done with a power steering pump and probably water pump replacement. I have done some cleaning and I painted the valve covers and air cleaner. I wish I could find a picture under the hood of a brand new one.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I think the AC tag should be on the AC muffler/accumulator.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The edelbrock fuel inlet is on the wrong side (compared to the original) so a good solution is to run the original steel line farther back on the LH side and pass the fuel line behind the carb.

As long as the air cleaner hides where the rubber attaches, you're good.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The plastic master cylinder cover should be copper-plated steel.

There is some plastic convoluted wire harness tube on the RH Rear side of the motor. This should be a cloth-style wrap to be correct or just taped to be less obvious. You have some aftermarket red wires in the engine bay. They are all wrong and probably routed incorrectly also. The only red wire should be the positive battery cable.

Radiator cap looks wrong to me. Anyone else know?

I'm not sure about worn clamps being used in 1964. I think they should all be tower/Wittek clamps. AMK sells them.

Do I see red paint under the wiper motor? Don't think anything was red there.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Dan Szwarc wrote:The plastic master cylinder cover should be copper-plated steel.

Noted. I need to find one, but might not bother as I really need to get this converted to a dual MC. That won't be original, but will be safer.

There is some plastic convoluted wire harness tube on the RH Rear side of the motor. This should be a cloth-style wrap to be correct or just taped to be less obvious. You have some aftermarket red wires in the engine bay. They are all wrong and probably routed incorrectly also. The only red wire should be the positive battery cable.

Agreed. I want to find out the best way to attack that. I may just use electrical tape to replace that plastic stuff. Inside that plastic is some of the original cloth style wrapped wires and that just keeps the pertronix wire away from the heat of the manifold by tying it to the other routed wires. But it looks tacky. May go to a black wire and just mark the terminal red to indicate positive. I am trying to find out if there is a split cloth type insulation that I can cover all the wiring harness with without pulling it from the car.

Yes, that red wire goes to the pertronix. I agree its fubar the way it looks, I want to get that wiring looking cleaner and more original.

Radiator cap looks wrong to me. Anyone else know?

I don't know. Would appreciate finding out if anyone knows.

I'm not sure about worn clamps being used in 1964. I think they should all be tower/Wittek clamps. AMK sells them.

Are those the pinch type clamps that have two prongs on one end and one on the other? Normally black in color?

Do I see red paint under the wiper motor? Don't think anything was red there.
Yes you do. It is a steel plate with a label on it. It's welded or permanently affixed there. As far as I know it's original. Anyone else know what that is? I need to get a close up of it when I go out there tomorrow.

Everyone keep going. I would love to get a really good authentication description of the engine bay on 64s. Also decals/labels. I am sure there must have been some. The car has all its labels inside the interior and trunk and on the door jambs, but there isn't a single one under the hood.

Thanks everybody
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Oh PS. I have a connector attached to my battery cables so I can just plug in my battery tender without opening the hood and using alligator clamps. So that accounts for that second red wire coming from the battery cable.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'll have to dig them up, but I have pics of a 1019 mile 64 Lincoln owned by Tim Wilson.
It is the pinnacle of authenticity. The links previously shown on the forum are invalid as the pics were deleted from the host server. I'll find them and re-upload.
ReijerLincoln
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by ReijerLincoln »

I have a few of those:
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 01.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 02.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 03.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 04.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 05.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 06.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 07.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 08.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 09.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 11.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 12.jpg
1964 LC - 1,019 Original Miles 13.jpg
1964 Lincoln Continental sedan

http://bigfancycar.blogspot.nl/
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Now you can see the rubber straps and aluminum rivets on the AC lines.

These are sold at AMK.
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

Well I found a few engine compartment pics on cars for sale and they all seem to have that red steel plate midline near the firewall. It has a two wire plug from the harness that plugs into two prongs on the red plate. Here's the pics. Anyone know what that red thing is?
Attachments
bb.JPG
vb.jpg
2018 Lincoln Continental
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
veedub00
Lincoln Maniac

Post by veedub00 »

just a red connection for HVAC. I have my '64's engine out right now.