Armor All: Why does it get a bad rap?

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

GoFerrari28
Occasional Visitor

Armor All: Why does it get a bad rap?

Post by GoFerrari28 »

Hi all. On this forum and a few others I've come across a lot of people who vow to never use Armor All on their vehicles. Now I don't slather it onto the dash and tires, but I do use it on the tires of my car and find that it leaves a nice semi-gloss finish and is easy to wipe off the excess. Does Armor All break down rubber or something? I don't use it on whitewalls and it's never been an issue before, unless it was applied heavily and splattered on the fender, or if I did not use adequate soap when washing the tires to get the old residue off.
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, 1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427, 1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 1969 Camaro convertible Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed, 1971 Camaro

Relax. My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Armor All: Why does it get a bad rap?

Post by onedollarbob »

Something about it being silicon based is why people always told me not to use it. I found it doesn't seem to have much UV protection, which is why I use Aerospace 303, which is formulated for marine applications (constant outdoor temperature swings and sunlight exposure).
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I thought it was water based.

Here's what I remember. Armor-al causes the plasticizers in the rubber or vinyl to evaporate more quickly. This causes the material to dry out and crack earlier.

Is it really true? Don't really know.
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Go over to this forum and do a search on Armor All. They're chemical engineers and you can read ad-nauseum why Armor All stinks.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... p?ubb=cfrm

Lexol Vinylex is what I use on my tires - great UV protection and doesn't dry the tires out.
No Lincoln currently...
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Dan Szwarc wrote:I thought it was water based.
Their own website is not sure. They start out with "no silicone" but then state: "Armor All® Original Shine Protectant contains water-based silicone emulsions" So, it probably is water based, but WTH is "water based silicone"? I'd suspect they have reformulated over the years now that everybody has become savvier about this stuff. Still won't use it since I have found products that are more effective.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

In its earlier formulations, at any rate, it would cause the stitching on seats and door panels to degrade over a period of time. This was especially troublesome in cars with leather interiors with lots of pleats- what a nightmare to have to have it all re-sewn. Even then, most reputable trim shops would not re-sew leather pieces which had been previously sewn, because the new seams would be weaker, and prone to failure.

It was also a dust and dirt magnet.

-Charles
larrys 62 53A
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by larrys 62 53A »

Armor-all your tires. Drive for a while. Notice how brown they are? I was happy using it for years until at a show a Meguiar's rep said to go back and look at the brown tires on my car. Damn, he was right. So, now I use Meguair's pink tire goo. Lasts longer and no more brown stuff. I just wish they had a product as good for white walls.
Toronto Canada
1962 Lincoln-Continental sedan (mint original) owned since 1999
1954 Citroen 11B Traction Avant (restored by me) Owned since 1983
1991 Mercedes 190E (daily driver)
1960 Saab 93F- owned since 2015
1949 Citroen 11BL Traction Avant owned since 2015 -a work in progress