Detroit-Area Detailers

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Detroit-Area Detailers

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is just a thread for me to collect potential detailers in the Detroit area.
There is so much to screw up when detailing ones car that I doubt I will ever acquire the tools and skills necessary to do it in-house. I'd rather use my time for something else and pay the experts to do it right the first time.

http://www.detailtroy.com/
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Detroit-Area Detailers

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I took my Lincoln to Motor City Auto Spa in Royal Oak for paint correction and a gloss-coat. It was pricey but the results were amazing.

I don’t think these pictures do it justice, but I’ll just say I don’t think my car has looked better. It certainly looked terrible after the 2013-2017 road trips. Foggy paint, scratches, etc. They got out the crazing and haze and all but a few marks were removed.
Attachments
2568451A-18AC-440C-BE96-D97AFD10ADFB.jpeg
9A392225-1E90-4B78-9B2F-081E7CCB0F6E.jpeg
B0A8AEF8-C917-421A-8284-DFCF76C7B8DC.jpeg
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

The paint sure looks nice and shiny. Did they include detailing the interior and inside the trunk and under the hood as well? Do you mind sharing how much it cost?
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
defrang
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by defrang »

What is a gloss coat, Dan? Is it a wax? or paint? I recently had my car buffed and waxed which I thought looked great. But I think your photos look excellent and better than what I had done.
Robert DeFrang
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The gloss coat is just a shiny wax better than wax, I guess. They have better coatings but their intended for clear coat paints that are less than 5 years old.

My paint is over 20 years old. Probably 22-25 years. It’s soft, but thick.

The detail costs $300. The gloss coat cost me another $300 for $600 total. It sounds expensive but it was worth my time not having to do this.

They didn’t detail the inside (it wouldn’t have lasted). They didn’t touch the trunk. Check their website for details.

I took more pics in better light. My car has never looked better! Before, I had clouds in my paint. Now, I see cloud reflections!
Attachments
E9391645-3C11-495D-9F58-0F59387EF134.jpeg
32FEAA0A-64A3-4095-99F7-DC9C35A05564.jpeg
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Looks great, Dan. I probably should get that done to mine. Maybe after Albuquerque.

I agree that some times it's well worth paying the expert to do something.
trouble
Frequent Contributor

Post by trouble »

wow, look's fantastic,well worth the money.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to proper care of my cars and their paint. According to MCAS's FAQ site:
How long does the protection last?

Numerous variables can contribute to the longevity of a wax or sealer product. Typically, the standard wax or sealer will last four to six months. If carefully maintained (i.e., hand washed and spray waxes used periodically), that same finish can last over six months. With extended protection sealers, the same coating will normally yield a full year’s worth of protection.

A word of caution: Some companies now claim they have a product that can last three or four years or longer. One of Motor City AutoSpa’s more important values is honesty. Under normal wear and tear, we have not found a product that will fight off rail dust or repel tar from sticking to your paint and repel water for that period of time. That is why regular detailing and maintenance is so essential for caring car owners.
I'm a slacker.