Degreasing a leather-wrapped steering wheel

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Degreasing a leather-wrapped steering wheel

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Does anyone have any experience with a product that works well for degreasing a leather-wrapped steering wheel? My 2010 f-150 has what I believe to be coated leather on the steering wheel, which, I also believe, is used commonly in vehicle interiors. In the past few days, it has been hot as hell and humid. As a result, I have been getting in and out of the truck with dirty, sweaty hands. The steering wheel is now all tacky and funked up. I'd like to clean all of this shit off, but I am afraid I may damage the leather and/or coating if I use anything too intense. Most products say not to use with leather. I tried some Simple Green "wipes" with very limited success. Anyone have a recommendation on what I can use that will remove the sticky nastiness but not dry our damage the leather?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Degreasing a leather-wrapped steering wheel

Post by Castrosua »

my Crown Vic has this. the problem is that the leather wears out, and the funk gets in those areas. I use armor all wipes even if they say dont use them on steering wheels, but it does get most of it out. Of course it leaves behind the areas where the leather is just work through.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

i use foaming glass cleaner..

it takes a bit to soften the goo up, but spray it a few tiems allow to soak, wipe n repeat as necc.
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Hmm, ok. I figured Armor-all would just add to the grease, but maybe not. Never thought of foaming glass cleaner. I'll have to look for that.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Nick, try googling "degreasing a leather-wrapped steering wheel". There are a number of recommendations. I haven't tried any of them though.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
jsanford
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by jsanford »

I know this is old, but I just wanted to add my recommendation. I have used BlueMagic Leather & Vinyl cleaner for this exact chore for years with excellent results. BlueMagic really cuts through the gunk but is designed for leather so it won't hurt anything. Available at fine auto parts stores everywhere.

Jeremy
LCOC Western Region Webmaster & Northern CA Activities Coordinator.