Vinyl Roof Dressing?

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Vinyl Roof Dressing?

Post by LCont72 »

Is there an appropriate vinyl top dressing available? Is anyone using a particular product on cavalry twill vinyl roofs that they can recommend? I seem to remember that there was a "Turtle Wax" product, among others, when my family's 1972 Town Car was new. But it has been decades since I have owned a car equipped with a vinyl roof, and can't seem to find anything in the auto parts stores. Any suggestions would be welcome! My '72 has the cavalry twill vinyl roof, which is still soft and supple, but shows signs of some "uneven" cleaning or soap streaks from the past. Thanks!

---Charles
Last edited by LCont72 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Vinyl Roof Dressing?

Post by John Mc »

I was asking myself the same question recently. When vinyl tops went away, so did the dressings................anyone have any ideas???
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

I've used all kinds of gunk in the past. It all left residue on the rear and side windows.

Short of cleaning it with vinyl cleaner or mild soap, you might want to try a simple conditioner for vinyl seats (which still exist). I don't really have any recommendations beyond that.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

i bought some vinyl floor cleaner, but never tried it, ive been waiting for somebody else lol. i dont know what effects that would have on paint, and how or if it is corrosive.
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
CurtC
Frequent Contributor

Post by CurtC »

Haven't tried it myself but from what I read in Continental Comments (#310), Pledge floor wax works quite well. I think I've also read this somewhere else too.

Curt
LCOC #: 024755C
1976 Mark IV, Dark Red Moondust Metallic, Polished Deep Dish
1997 Town Car Signature, Silver Frost
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

I've used almost every product over the years - I've been using Lexol Vinylex for the past 8 years. Porsche club had a big demo by a professional detailer and he said that it doesn't yellow or build up and it really has a UV protectant built in. I think it makes vinyl tops, tires, vinyl dash, etc beautiful. And if you run over it with a dry rag about an hour later, you can remove all the "sheen". Oh, and it doesn't "fog" your windows as it evaporates over time. (Armor all was real bad about that)
No Lincoln currently...
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

I agree with 2sasilverbullet about the Lexol Vinylex.

http://www.lexol.com/Product_vinylex.aspx#
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

Thanks, guys.
I'll give Lexol Vinylex a try. It wasn't available at two auto parts stores near me, so I purchased some on eBay.

---Charles
LCont72
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by LCont72 »

The Lexol Vinylex I purchased on eBay arrived on Saturday, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. The product is applied to a sponge or foam applicator, and then rubbed into the vinyl. A little extra effort was in order, owing to the Cavalry Twill graining and the necessity of getting the product into all the recesses.

Initially, the application looked sort of blotchy and uneven, but after completing the one application, I went over it again with just the sponge, going with the grain (rather than in a circular fashion as recommended in the instructions). The result was an absolutely beautiful and even semi-gloss finish that really brought out the "dark ginger" or "tobacco" color of the roof. :grin:

An excellent product!

---Charles
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Excellent information, thanks for the update.
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

LCont72 wrote:The Lexol Vinylex I purchased on eBay arrived on Saturday, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. The product is applied to a sponge or foam applicator, and then rubbed into the vinyl. A little extra effort was in order, owing to the Cavalry Twill graining and the necessity of getting the product into all the recesses.

Initially, the application looked sort of blotchy and uneven, but after completing the one application, I went over it again with just the sponge, going with the grain (rather than in a circular fashion as recommended in the instructions). The result was an absolutely beautiful and even semi-gloss finish that really brought out the "dark ginger" or "tobacco" color of the roof. :grin:

An excellent product!

---Charles
Your Welcome! Another happy Vinylex customer :grin: :D
No Lincoln currently...
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

What happens when you want to wash the car with this dressing all over the top? Does it get all ugly and greasy on the paint? I've heard of some Mark III owners only washing from the beltline down. If I find a worthy '67 or '69 sedan, one of my requirements is a vinyl roof. I think they look naked without it.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Yes. It does.
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

LithiumCobalt wrote:What happens when you want to wash the car with this dressing all over the top? Does it get all ugly and greasy on the paint? I've heard of some Mark III owners only washing from the beltline down. If I find a worthy '67 or '69 sedan, one of my requirements is a vinyl roof. I think they look naked without it.

Mine doesn't - but I only wash with gentle Mequiars car wash with two squirts of NXT liquid wax in the mixture.
No Lincoln currently...
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

I sure would like to see some pictures of the vinyl top when finished with this product.(especially if someone has a white top)
The old saying, a picture is worth a thousand words holds true here, so if any of you who have used this product, could you post some pictures?
Bob.