Vinyl Roof Dressing?

Post your cleaning and detailing techniques, questions, product recommendations, etc. in this sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

GoFerrari28
Occasional Visitor

Re: Vinyl Roof Dressing?

Post by GoFerrari28 »

Any pictures of what the vinyl top looks like after application? I've been trying to find something for my mom's '78 DJE and the blue vinyl top is a little faded but still in excellent condition, but as I want to start driving her more, I'd like to make sure the material is protected from the elements. She's never spent a night outside but I don't want the top to deteriorate.
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, 1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427, 1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 1969 Camaro convertible Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed, 1971 Camaro

Relax. My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Lexol vinyl products are good.

Aerospace 303 is where it's AT. Find it and use it. Not greasy; mid level shine; has preserved my vinyl tops forever more.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
GoFerrari28
Occasional Visitor

Post by GoFerrari28 »

I used Lexol Vinylex on my mom's '78 DJE based on the recommendation in this thread. It did a nice job of cleaning the old vinyl top material and restored some of the old color, although not to as-new condition, but it still looks great. I washed the car again a few weeks later and the water beaded and rolled right off the material.
My Mom's 1978 Lincoln Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition
2000 Rolls Royce Silver Seraph, 1967 Camaro RS ZL1 427, 1967 Camaro RS 327 L30 4 speed
1955 Bel Air 4-door, 1969 Camaro convertible Indy 500 Pace Car, matching numbers 396/4 speed, 1971 Camaro

Relax. My dad's a TV repairman, got an ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

I have had excellent results using Meguiars #40 Professional Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner. This product works very well when applied to the cavalry twill top on my '73. If your vinyl top is particularly soiled, you can hit it with Meguiars #39 Professional Heavy Duty Vinyl Cleaner and a soft bristled scrub brush first, and then go over it with the #40. As with any dressing, you will have to work it in going with the grain on a Cavalry Twill top. I usually go with what has always worked in the past, but I am open minded about trying something new, if I think it will give better results; Lexol Vinylex is a product that I may just have to check out. Meguiars has never let me down, though.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
1979 Mark V
Occasional Visitor

Post by 1979 Mark V »

I have found this stuff to be the best thing around:

http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/browsePro ... 0/sku~6183

Apply with a foam paint brush.

Get a few - like 3" and get a few like 1" or even smaller if you can - for detail.

Its more like a "varnish" - may take longer (a lot longer) than 15 minutes to dry - but it makes the vinyl roof look brand new - and last well over a year. (Assuming little sun) And does not "leech" in rain or water.
1979 Mark V
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

I loved Lexol Vinylex until my FLAPS stopped carrying it :smt011 . Went back to Tannery products, which was always great for leather. Tannery's vinyl treatment is tops, like Vinylex, for vinyl tops (pun intended?) Whatever you use to protect your vinyl top will bleed with dew or washing onto your paint. If you keep your car outside, you will have to deal with it, but these products will definitely help preserve and beautify your top.
MMM
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by MMM »

I actually like Zymol Tyre best on my '77's vinyl roof. I last used One Grand ERV on it, since I was out of Tyre and had the ERV for other purposes. It worked well, though I prefer the finish Tyre leaves - more sheen than Vinylex, though not like an oil slick. Somewhat of a satin finish with nice depth, including the texture of the roof.