70-79 Continental Brake & Accelerator Pedal Pics

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Re: 70-79 Continental Brake & Accelerator Pedal Pics

Post by 1977lincolnmarkv »

Yes, they are not upside down now even in any pictures I have seen, except for the ones posted. The easiest way to see if they are on incorrectly is to actually remove the pedal pad and look and see how the shape of the metal is formed. All I can say is if you look at it from a design stand point upside down just doesn't look correct. Now if I go into the MPC and see that the part numbers are the same for the Mark and the Continental and you already said these are Mark pictures then we know for a fact that the pedal pads are on incorrectly. I will check now and get back with you. Marks', Continental's, Galaxy, LTD truck's it doesn't matter, ALL FORD E-brake pads go one way, they all go wide top narrow bottom. The early style could be a square so it wouldn't matter but the 79 up too 88 are angled to match the rubber. I guess to keep the pad from coming off when caught with a shoe. That is why you see some Lincolns missing chrome because the shoe gets caught on the metal and yanks them off. I just did it the other day on my wagon. Cut the hell out of the leather but the trim came off.
Last edited by 1977lincolnmarkv on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

Checked found an NOS one. Notice the pedal pad. They are all the same different part number for each year but gave original part numbers all the way back to 69. They are all narrow at the bottom and wide at the top. The pads were either put on by drunk workers or came off and put back on incorrectly. Its easy to do as I have even had my foot catch on the E brake and pull off the pad.
Attachments
all years with chrome or without with auto release are the same
all years with chrome or without with auto release are the same
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Maybe all of my cars were cockeyed . . . they *all* had the parking brake pedal pad with the wide part on top and narrow part on bottom. This was on Conti's, Mark V's, Mark VI's, and Town Cars '78-83 that I owned or drove.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

That is how they are all supposed to be. They look very odd upside down. Why would they put a Mark one way and a Continental another and on some Continental's and not on others. Doesn't make any sense. When I was young I slept in my fathers 74 for two weeks every single night in Oct of 73. I remember everything about that car including the smell. It was by far one my favorites. The pedal was wide at the top and narrow at the bottom.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sorry. Service parts are not sources of authenticity.

My 76 coupe:
76 coupe parking brake: Big at the bottom
76 coupe parking brake: Big at the bottom
My 74 Coupe:
74 Coupe
74 Coupe
My 77 Town Car:
77 Town Car Parking Brake Pedal
77 Town Car Parking Brake Pedal
74 Continental in Calgary:
74 Sedan
74 Sedan
Either Ford was inconsistent or every car I've ever seen had them swapped which I find completely unlikely.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sauceman's 77 (from his "dashboards are easy to remove).
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The reason you don't see the stainless steel trim on some is because on late 76s and later Ford eliminated it to cut costs. It might have fallen off of previous models. I was about to put the trim on my 77 from my 75, but then I sold it and got out of the 70s Lincoln business.

Here's some PN info:
73-75 Parking brake Assembly from MPC
73-75 Parking brake Assembly from MPC
70-72 PN is D0VY-2780-A
73 PN is D3VY-2780-A.
74-79 Parking Brake PNs from MPC
74-79 Parking Brake PNs from MPC
Note how the PN is different for MOST years.

You can see how it mentions the bright trim being dropped in 76.
You can see how the PN changed in 1978.

I don't have any pics of a parking brake from a 78 or later Lincoln. I never took one of the 79 I owned.

Again, I am saying that "Wide at the bottom" is correct for 1970-1977 Continentals (model D), not the Marks (Model K).

Since you mentioned the Marks above were the same as the Ford, here's the Mark PNs:
73-79 Mark PB PNs
73-79 Mark PB PNs
I believe SZ and OZ means they shared with the full-size Fords of the day. They are not interchangeable with the Full-size Lincolns. Even my 70 Mercury has a PN of D0MY-2780-A, but I have to check the pedal configuration to see which way it goes.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

1977lincolnmarkv wrote:Yes, they are not upside down now even in any pictures I have seen, except for the ones posted.
You posted pictures from Marks. All of the other pics are from Continentals.
The easiest way to see if they are on incorrectly is to actually remove the pedal pad and look and see how the shape of the metal is formed.
Agreed, as I stated before. But that's only IF the metal tab underneath is tapered. If it's square...

All I can say is if you look at it from a design stand point upside down just doesn't look correct.
That's your opinion. I tend to disagree as it could go either way, matching the taper of the brake pedal or "upside-down" as you call it, which, to me, compliments the brake pedal. Plus, wider at the bottom makes it easier to grab with your toe and the edge of your shoe.

Now if I go into the MPC and see that the part numbers are the same for the Mark and the Continental and you already said these are Mark pictures then we know for a fact that the pedal pads are on incorrectly. I will check now and get back with you.
I've done that above. Marks and Continentals are not the same PN.

Marks', Continental's, Galaxy, LTD truck's it doesn't matter, ALL FORD E-brake pads go one way, they all go wide top narrow bottom. The early style could be a square so it wouldn't matter but the 79 up too 88 are angled to match the rubber.
Continentals and Marks are not necessarily the same. Saying ALL FORD pads go one way when I have posted evidence to the contrary is silly. I'm not talking about ALL FORDs or all years. I'm just talking about 70-79 Continentals, which are obviously different form the rest of the Fords. The picture evidence says that wide on the bottom is correct for Continentals.

Ford's design history on just our Lincolns has shown that they literally flip-flop on designs, doing one thing for a few years, then the complete opposite for the next few. There is no consistency or pattern. They are certainly not consistent across car lines within all of Ford.

In addition, they literally appear to change designs for the sake of change, not because there is some grand purpose or design strategy to build the ideal version of something. A perfect example is when the 61s came with curved side glass, which was flat in 60 and earlier, went back to flat in 64-65, then back to curved in 66 and later (and I believe they have been curved ever since). Different design teams did what they wanted and seldom worked with teams on other car lines. Today, there is more corporate design standards than there was before the 80s.

In the end, upside down or not, the quality of the appearance is a matter of opinion. What's not arguable is whether or not most cars came one way or the other. Picture evidence shows what is out there and what is likely true for each line and that they are not necessarily the same.
Scottco
Frequent Contributor

Post by Scottco »

Pedal
Pedal
1979 Sedan Collector Series
Scottco
Massachusetts
1979 Collector Series
1979 Lincoln Mark V (sold)
2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (sold)
2015 Lincoln MKC
1977lincolnmarkv
Frequent Contributor

The part numbers have a 75 used on a 74, couldn't happen. These are revised MPC's so you would have to actually go to the original parts lists to see. As for the differences notice the length of the release, the configuration of the mechanism. That maybe where the differences are. For what ever reason they put them that way, some I have seen are big at the top and small at the bottom. The Marks are big at the top and small at the bottom as well as the one I posted for a Ford. Either way the it looks odd to me. I have 12 other Marks with them the opposite way and my eyes is used to it that way so that is how my 74 Continental will be. If it wrong so be it, from a design stand point it looks odd upside down.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

The PNs I posted are from the last release of the MPC in 1983. Some service parts have changed.

Based on the pictures alone, I propose that all Lincoln Continentals and Town Cars built from 1970 to 1979 should have the wider part of the e-brake pedal pad at the bottom. Anything else is a mis-build or was changed by the owner.

This discussion has been fun. Now we just need more pictures of all the brake pedals from the various years.

We have 72, 73, 75, 77, and 79 in this thread.

Need 70, 71, 74, 76, and 78.
Perry Bush
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Perry Bush »

Dan Is Right, I'mAt The Barn. 70, 71, 73, 77, 79 All The Same. The MetaL Foot Is Shaped WideSide Down. 77 And 69 Marks Are Opposite.
Drivers '70 Continental Coupe; '77 Continental Convertible; '79 CS Town Car; '78 Mark V; '77 Mark V
Projects '69 Mark III Convertible
For Sale '78 Town Car Convertible Project; '70/73 Town Coupe Project(s)
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Perry, you said metal foot. Did you remove the pad and inspect the steel underneath?
John Mc
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by John Mc »

Wide side down.

Wide side up???? Well that would just be freak'n weird!!!!!!
Almost unearth like and unnatural!!
Attachments
E-brake close up.jpg
John Mc - Lake Shore Region Director
‘48 Continental Cabriolet
‘77 Town Coupe Black Diamond
‘77 Town Coupe Glass Top
'06 Mark LT
‘14 MKZ
'15 Lincoln MKC
sauceman
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by sauceman »

Here is the one from my 77 Towncar.
100_3784.JPG

cheers
Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgement.

Yugoslavia '94' , Israel/Syria '99 , Bosnia '02 , Afghanistan '08-'09

My 1977 Town Car build

Return to “1970-79 Continental Authenticity Manual”