66/67 68/69 Heater/AC Control area Dash pictures needed

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

66/67 68/69 Heater/AC Control area Dash pictures needed

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This is to identify the obvious, yet not obvious lettering differences.
Since 66 to 67 changed with the movement of the wiper and headlamp switches, there are also differences for AC, non-AC, and Auto-AC versions.

Post good straight-on pics if you can.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: 66/67 68/69 Heater/AC Control area Dash pictures needed

Post by TonyC »

I can only provide words to my observations in the design differences at this point...but I can say definitively that dash fittings for the three HVAC options can be split into two groups: '66/7, and '68/9. Despite the reversal of headlight and wiper controls in '67, the HVAC controls were unchanged from '66, so those two years are identical. The big change came in '68, when the HVAC knob was moved to the side of the wiper control, those two knobs vertically placed on the left side of the control panel (done as an improvement so the driver wouldn't have to reach around the wheel to tune the temp dial). '69 was unchanged from '68.

So, the years within the respective groups will interchange, but the two groups will not. In other words, for example, you cannot install a panel from '68 into a '66; but you can put a '67 panel into a '66 and vice-versa, or a '69 panel into a '68 and vice-versa.

The shop manuals of those years show very good drawings of the three different control options; of course, nothing beats seeing actual examples. So, if anyone with a non-A/C setup can snap a shot to share, please do. I can provide a shot of the '66/7 manual-A/C option...and I think getting shots of the ATC options for either group ought to be easy, being that was the most commonly-installed option.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Attached is an example of the manual-A/C control panel used in '66 and '67.

---Tony
Attachments
1966/7 Manual-A/C Control Panel (here with a '66 knob, which has a more prominent chrome ring than the '67 knob, but the two will interchange)
1966/7 Manual-A/C Control Panel (here with a '66 knob, which has a more prominent chrome ring than the '67 knob, but the two will interchange)
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Bumping this thread, as I have something extra to contribute. Yesterday via a group on Facebook, I came across a listing for a European version of a '69 clap-door, which was fitted with the non-A/C HV system. There were 15 pictures in the listing which were pretty telling, and one of them showed a very clear picture of the dash; I'm attaching it here for the Forum archives. As this car was originally built for a European buyer (but not British, as it is LHD), it also has the metric speed gauge, showing up to 200 KPH. However, the non-A/C system on this car has to be the same as those very few American versions that too were fitted with the non-A/C system.

I remembered that the non-A/C system went up from four buttons in '67 to five in '68; remembered that from an owner's manual of that year I once salvaged a long time ago. But I did not remember all their functions. The attached shot shows them very clearly; essentially, the vent controls were expanded to offer a choice between lower venting ducts or higher venting ducts. Reminder, this is from a '69 Continental; unless somebody shows evidence to refute my claim, I will go on record with saying that '68's non-A/C setup was identical.

---Tony
Attachments
Driver's Dash, '69 Euro version, with non-A/C system
Driver's Dash, '69 Euro version, with non-A/C system
"Question Authority!"

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

How's this?
'67 Heater only
'67 Heater only
'68 ATC
'68 ATC
I tried to backlight the lights on the 68, L to R door oil hot --- alt trunk belt.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

That metric speedo is interesting, as I live in a metric country. I have wondered how they would do it, nice to see one. Of note, it is not just an overlay, the drum is also divided to match, and the odometer would, almost certainly be changed as well.
It looks like only 5 digits, we had that from '78 until '84 when they finally added another digit. Some used car dealers in that era had a lot of "original" low km. cars with worn out seats and pedals!
'62 and '67 LCC.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Tony, thanks for posting a picture of a kilometer version of the speedometer, something I have never seen before. I wonder if the speed indicator changes from white to red as it does on the mile version of the speedometer at about 70MPH.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Indeed, that would be interesting to discover. I suppose it depends on the speed-limits laws of the country in question.

That shot was a pretty lucky one, I think; the KPH speedo happened to be a bonus. It was nice to see that the sale listing had a good shot of the dash.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I just realized how different the idiot-light arrangement was in the dash panel Fraser showed. So, they eliminated the green "Cruise" light they had in '67? I didn't realize they kept juggling idiot-light positions year after year...except for the Oil, Temp, and Alt lights which seem to have stayed put from '66.

Perhaps more of a reason to consider a 250-3592 control switch, if any '68 owners here don't have cruise control and want it (see my plug for the Rostra system in the "Customizing" category). :wink: BTW, ever since I did that alteration to the turn-signal wiring last month, that system has worked flawlessly, as well as the brake lights themselves. I'm really looking forward to the long-range test, after I finish killing off this bug I caught at turn-of-year.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

1Bad55Chevy
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1Bad55Chevy »

frasern wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:08 pm That metric speedo is interesting, as I live in a metric country. I have wondered how they would do it, nice to see one. Of note, it is not just an overlay, the drum is also divided to match, and the odometer would, almost certainly be changed as well.
It looks like only 5 digits, we had that from '78 until '84 when they finally added another digit. Some used car dealers in that era had a lot of "original" low km. cars with worn out seats and pedals!
Shady used car dealers still do that! :dance:
Glad to see nothing has changed since the beginning of time!

Car buying tip.. worn out pedals and low miles means un godly amount of in town driving new looking pedals and crazy high miles means highway cruiser..

Contrary to popular belief nobody ever rolled the ODs back in cars because it took a crazy amount of time. If we want to roll them back on new cars we do it the same way they did it in the 60s.... swap the cluster from a junk car. Even on modern cars the mileage is stored in the cluster not the PCM. There are mileage correction scanners on ebay for a few hundred dollars that I have heard good things about but I personally have never used one.
55 Chevy 2 dr/ht pro street 427
71 Lincoln Mark iii
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Rumble Bee #1168 of 4000
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

It wont let me edit for some reason, but additional info. on lights; '66 trunk oil hot --- alt door belt. '67 cruise oil hot --- alt trunk belt.
My '68 doesn't have cruise, so I don't know if the light was moved, or eliminated. In '67, it functions as an "engaged" light, and most cars didn't have that in that era, an "on" light was provided on the switch.

On my '62 Buick odometer, I just removed a screw and re-stacked the digits, way too easy. They made that harder in later years, so then you had to use a reversing drill. ( I was changing the speedo., just setting it to the correct mileage, no criminal intent. "I am not a crook" )
'62 and '67 LCC.
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

TonyC wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:06 am I'm really looking forward to the long-range test, after I finish killing off this bug I caught at turn-of-year.

---Tony
Usually, that "turn of year bug" cures itself in about 48 hrs!
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Not this one; this is a two-week bug, not a two-day bug. Rather odd, purely respiratory infection with a lot of coughing, but no runny nose or hot-'n'-cold flashes like the first bug. I'm only now feeling like it's in its death throes...which I really hope is the case, because all the coughing has been straining my heart, and my left kidney for some odd reason. I'm really sick of being sick!

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

Just ribbing you Tony. Take care, lots of stuff going around this winter.
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

:grin: All good, thanks. I should be fine before too long, then I can do a surgery in conjunction with an oil change and make that Florida trip that's already overdue.

---Tony
"Question Authority!"

Return to “1966-69 LCOC Authenticity Manual Update”