Authenticity to the Extreme: 66 vs. 67

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Authenticity to the Extreme: 66 vs. 67

Post by Castrosua »

you may have the end time frame down right...MY72 the door needs to be unlocked to open it...it took me a while to understand that one..i kept locking it from the armrest (still love that vacuum sound lol). I kept pulling on the handle until it dinged on me that i have to unlock the door like it was a rear door
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

I mentioned the difference in the passender side dash grilles between 1966 & 67 in an earlier in this post. It turns out that the small section on the left side are different between both years too. The same goes for the convertible switch bezels.

Difference: 1967 bezel has a thicker mounting base on the back side. The part numbers are different between both years.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806837

[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't ]
[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't Parts Car ]
[ 1972 Lincoln Limo ]
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

The photo for the '67 Coupe door panel for leather interiors must be
printed backwards because to look at it, it appears to be the
passenger door . . . but there's a knob to adjust the outside mirror
on it.

I dunno; maybe somebody else spotted this. :D
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Sorry, Gerry. RH mirrors in 67 had adjustment knobs. It's on page 3 of this thread.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 30#p233317
AnthLinc
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by AnthLinc »

I didn's see this listed. The front lower rad support crossmembers are slightly different.

1966 The crossmemeber is completely soild on the edge facing the ground.

1967 There are two holes one on the left and one on the right side. They are about two inches in from the side edges. They face the ground. I figure they are for drainage or pulling the car.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3806837

[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't ]
[ 1966 Lincoln Conv't Parts Car ]
[ 1972 Lincoln Limo ]
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Dammmm--I've seen the picture of that starboard mirror before, and I'm still envious of the owner. Such nice shape--no need to J B Weld it to the door to keep it in place. :P

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
JAB
Lincoln Guru

Post by JAB »

On the A pillar, the 1966 has a metal cover plate covering the lower hinge assembly that is all one piece.
In the 1967 the same metal cover plate has been divided into a lower section and an upper section.

John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
John Brewer
Brewer Classic Lincoln
303 562-8368
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Are either of these spark plug wire sets proper for '66 and '67? The black ones are supposedly Autolite reproductions, but no "Autolite" logo or script. The others are Motorcraft WR-3800-BR. I don't know if the original wires had black or orange boots, but certainly they would have been Autolite.
Autolite Reproduction Wires.jpg
Motorcraft Wires.jpg

I know that this coil wire is proper. It is NOS Autolite with the yellow "COIL" label on it.
Coil Wire.jpg
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ekm330 wrote:Are either of these spark plug wire sets proper for '66 and '67? The black ones are supposedly Autolite reproductions, but no "Autolite" logo or script. The others are Motorcraft WR-3800-BR. I don't know if the original wires had black or orange boots, but certainly they would have been Autolite.

I know that this coil wire is proper. It is NOS Autolite with the yellow "COIL" label on it.
From the LCOC Authenticity Manual:
The wires are cut to specific length so there is little extra, unlike after-market
wire sets, the individual wires of which tend to be all the same length. Original wires in 1966 may be either plain black or black with “Radio Resistance” and the cylinder number in white ink stamped on them. In 1967 and later all wires are black with Autolite on them. In addition, the wires are date coded starting in the fourth quarter of 1966 with a quarter of the year as a single number and then a space and two (2) digits indicating the year of manufacture. It is common to find in the same set of wires ones of different but consecutive quarters. There is a right angle bend of the black rubber fitting at the distributor and a straight fitting at the spark plug end. The boots on original wires are either black or orange. On cars fitted with the Thermactor emission control system, black sleeve heat insulators are present to prevent heat damage as the wire passes over the Thermactor tubes. The distributor coil wire is a smaller version of the spark plug wires with a black boot at each end. A black plastic loom fits on the tang in the middle of each valve cover and holds the individual wires in position. On the 462 on the passenger's side the wires are held in the loom in consecutive order- 1, 2, 3, 4. On the driver's side on the 462, the order is different. It is 7, 5, 6, 8. This is done to eliminate parallel cross fire of the seventh and eighth cylinder since they fire in succession.
So buy what you need.
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Thanks for the LCOC reference, Dan. It looks like the most proper of the two sets I have is the first set, with the cylinder number and "Radio Resistance" printed on each wire; they just don't have "Autolite" printed on them, as is printed on the dizzy wire with the yellow band.
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ekm330 wrote:Thanks for the LCOC reference, Dan. It looks like the most proper of the two sets I have is the first set, with the cylinder number and "Radio Resistance" printed on each wire.

Where did you find that first set? I think I want to order a set for myself.
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Dan,

The Autolite reproductions in the first picture (with the cylinder number on each wire) came from The Lincoln Mercury Old Parts Store in Clearwater. That was July 2013.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Who knew the finish on sedan trunk release buttons was different between these two years? One has a polished finish and one has a brushed finish. 67 is polished and 66 is brushed. C6 and C7 parts numbers.
Attachments
8B5CE018-514A-4F9D-AF2A-163F7027A4EF.jpeg
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham

Return to “1966-69 LCOC Authenticity Manual Update”