Proper Way to Tap a Wire

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Proper Way to Tap a Wire

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Do NOT ever use crimp-on clamps, etc.

Follow the instructions on this page:

http://www.backinblackgp.com/Tap_And_Splice.htm

Also, PDF attached if site dies.
Attachments
Tapping and splicing wires.pdf
(655.8 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
brendanw
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Proper Way to Tap a Wire

Post by brendanw »

Nicely done Dan! Nothing better than having a few step-by-step pictures to go by. Many of us took the long route up the learning curve to figure out the best way to address the seemingly small details like how to splice-tap into a wire. Of course, having the right tool(s) is half the battle. In this case, everyone should have an exacto knife and at least a basic wire stripper / crimp tool as you've shown. I too use a 'high-end' crimp tool like the one you have shown, but it took me years to realize the value. I even have a really fancy wire stripper too!

As for the tap-splices at the beginning of your instruction, I couldnt agree more that it takes some finesse to use them, and if there's a better option available, use it! However, they have their place. My only recommendation is to use a set of standard pliers with the teeth set to the widest slot to employ them. That way the metal blade in the middle is pushed down straight into both wires, and not at an angle, which is what you'll get is you use electricians pliers or anything with a single hinge point. I had a heck of a time with the 12-gauge tap-splices that I used to tap into the blue, main power wire leading to the window switch bank for the relays I installed. I had never used the larger yellow ones, only the smaller blue and red ones. I think I was 50% efficient in the end, even knowing what I was doing and using the right tools. In hindsight I should have used your method.
Attachments
pliers-1.jpg
pliers-1.jpg (56.99 KiB) Viewed 846 times
1968 Lincoln Continental Sedan - Black on black - 462 ci [SOLD NOV 2017]