Lincoln detailing section.

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Lincoln detailing section.

Post by ContiJohn »

I was wondering if anyone would think it would be a good idea to have a forum dedicated to discussing the best available detailing/cleaning products for lincoln vehicles. as some may know some products work better than others and some actually harm our vehicles. I thought it would be a good idea to put peoples experiences here to learn from them specifically what is the best products.
Also i thought pictures of before and after the product was used would be good. Lets face it our cars have to look good. Just a thought.

Admin: Detailing sub-forum set up here: Cleaning & Detailing
There hasn't been much activity there. I guess few people actually clean their Lincolns with any real attention to detail.
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Lincoln detailing section.

Post by Suicidekid63 »

possibly a sticky topic, but you would have to search for and find relevant past threads relating to detailing products.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

It would be awesome to have it all located in one spot. Its very useful information, i have so many crap products on the shelf.
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

If memory serves me, I believe there is a thread or two about detailing products already on the forum, but I agree that it would be very useful to have all things detail related on one thread. For what it's worth, I use Mothers and Meguiars products exclusively to keep my '73 Mark IV looking its best. I was strictly a Meguiars guy for many years, but lately have been gravitating more toward Mothers; their clay bar system was my introduction to Mothers products. Neither one of these products have ever disappointed me in any way. Also, there are any number of detailing oriented sites on the internet that you can pick up some knowledge from. Some of these folks know what they're talking about, while it is obvious that others are ameteurs. I would think that getting tips and advice from fellow Lincoln lovers would be best, so, I am all for a detailing section here on the forum.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

My thoughts are different cars use different leathers on seats, that would be one example of why Lincoln specific discussion would be beneficial.
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

As far as leather upholstery care goes, the original owner of my car told me that her routine was to use Lexol cleaner followed by Lexol conditioner once a month. She did this faithfully for the majority of the 37 years she owned the car, and the seats are as soft and supple as new. I continue to follow this regimen.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
Castrosua
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Castrosua »

What would be interesting is not just whats good on flawless paint, but what works on paint that has sings of aging, like spider cracks. Ive used all the high name stuff, and none work taht great. Im going to try to find Liquid Glass (i saw it on somebody esle car and it does look really good, and its a liquid so its easy to apply and just wipe off)

Also many of our cars have vinyl tops and convertible tops, so what would be best there etc...

As a funny story, i tried calling Kiwi (the shoe shine comany) to ask them about their regular brown shoe shine. Im thinking when i used to shine my boots (back when we still had those kinds of boots) i used to get them to a mirror finish...so i tried a bit in a hidden area to see how it comes out. On the phone they said they dont recommend it, but in that area, it came out looking really good lol...but i dont know if i can do a whole car in it, and that would work only for cars that are black or brown lol...still, the way the lady handled that call, with me calling about using shoe shine on a car was funny :D
1972 Lincoln Continental 4dr, 1973 Lincoln Continental TownCar
1974 Ford Ranchero GT 500, 1993 DAC 112 UDM
1994 Rocar 112, 2004 Ford Crown Vic Sport
2014 Chevy Camaro 2LS, 2022 Dodge Charger 392 Hemi Scat Pack Wide Body
2sasilverbullet
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 2sasilverbullet »

Castrosua wrote:What would be interesting is not just whats good on flawless paint, but what works on paint that has sings of aging, like spider cracks. Ive used all the high name stuff, and none work taht great. Im going to try to find Liquid Glass (i saw it on somebody esle car and it does look really good, and its a liquid so its easy to apply and just wipe off)

Also many of our cars have vinyl tops and convertible tops, so what would be best there etc...

As a funny story, i tried calling Kiwi (the shoe shine comany) to ask them about their regular brown shoe shine. Im thinking when i used to shine my boots (back when we still had those kinds of boots) i used to get them to a mirror finish...so i tried a bit in a hidden area to see how it comes out. On the phone they said they dont recommend it, but in that area, it came out looking really good lol...but i dont know if i can do a whole car in it, and that would work only for cars that are black or brown lol...still, the way the lady handled that call, with me calling about using shoe shine on a car was funny :D
For the vinyl top, tires, and any other "vinyl" on the car I use a product called Lexol Vinylex http://www.kotrading.com/vinylex-protec ... tgodaAcAWw

I discovered this product through the Porsche club. It doesn't yellow with age and doesn't "build-up" itself. Also products against UV rays and adds some nice chemicals for the tires.
No Lincoln currently...
Jur de Jong
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Jur de Jong »

I use Lexol for the leather.

http://www.kotrading.com/lexol-leatherc ... ative.aspx

For the rest I use Meguiars.

8)
Jur de Jong

1997 Lincoln Town Car
1975 Lincoln Mk IV Gold-Cream Luxury Group (sold)
http://mercuryclub.multiforum.nl/viewto ... ercuryclub
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

I think the best information would be comparative. For example, i used to use this but found better results with
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

I was detailing my interior today and while cleaning the steering wheel using lexol leather cleaner,i immediately noticed that the color was being removed. I always use a white towel while cleaning. So now I'm scared to use on my leather seats. Anyone else experience this with lexol
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

One of my most favorite products is one I just found out about a year ago, Surf City Garage's Road Grime Destroyer.

http://www.surfcitygarage.com/shop/road ... -destroyer

This is the best stuff for removing bugs after a road trip. I spray it on, lightly smear it over the bugs with a sponge, wait about 30 seconds, and rinse. The bugs just float away with the rinse water. And it won't strip wax. This is one product I wouldn't want to do without.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Hi, ContiJohn: I have never had the experience you described with Lexol leather cleaner, but if memory serves me, I think somewhere on the bottle the instructions will tell you to test the product in a hidden area to check for colorfastness, and do not use the product if it removes color. Steering wheels can get pretty grimey with dirt and the oils from our skin, and I generally use Simple Green (full strength) to clean to clean the steering wheels in all of my vehicles.
Bob Hubbard
On Special Assignment

Post by Bob Hubbard »

A section on detailing would be very helpful to those who really don't know what works best.
Being in a climate where snow, and cold are non existent(except in the mountains), we in So Cal don't have to many problems when it comes to keeping our vehicles looking good.
I have posted in other threads about my not EVER using soap on the body of any vehicle I have owned.
On whitewall, I use simply green, and it does keep them looking white, and bright.
I have always used just plain water to wash my vehicles.
In the winter here, once in a while we get a little mud in puddles, and that is easily removed with a hose, and a rag.
Now, what I have always used is turtle wax to get a good base covering on the body.
I keep my vehicles clean by taking a damp rag to them, and buffing with a clean, soft towel.
Never, and I do mean never, go to a car wash..
I also use a product as a finishing detail spray, and that product is the greatest I have ever used.
It is from Meguiar's and is called ultimate detail in the black plastic spray bottle.
I have never seen a product that makes a finish shine like it does.
Bob.
78_towncar_460
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by 78_towncar_460 »

My leather seats have a bunch of grime on them, in places that you don't even touch too. I am thinking soap and water. I hate greasy, oily products that put a pseudo layer of "shine" or make things looks wet. The dash board looks good when it is dry and clear of dust, it does not need to look like it has water on it.
Mike
1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car