Lincoln detailing section.

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Re: Lincoln detailing section.

Post by ContiJohn »

I just used meguiars clean and condition leather treatment. It did not remove color like lexol did. I always use i white microfiber towel and after using thus product it was filthy. My seats looked impeccable before but now they look amazing. The leather does feel softer and at first it was a, little oily but i buffed that out with i new towel. It also has UV which is nice.
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

Interesting how these products work differently on different vehicles. I used the Meguiars leather clean and conditioner on the seats on my Camaro, and it looks like I wiped bacon grease on them. The Givenchy has velour seats so I can't see if I would be pleased with the results on Lincoln leather or not.

Also, never had much of a problem with water spots after washing the Givenchy. Seems like nothing can get rid of them on the Camaro.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

Anyone have any experience detailing engine bay?
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Linc, water spots are a nuisance. There a few things I have to try depending on the clearcoat and what kind of waterspots:

"Raised" waterspots usually come out with soapy washing and a good microfiber mitten; clay bar with detailer spray will do the rest usually.

Etched in waterspots are trickier:

1. Vinegar/distilled water, either directly wiped or allowed to stand on the spots under a soaked cloth for a minute or two
2. Cleaner wax
3. If none of this is working, I recommend Meg's ScratchX 2.0 on a foam pad, gently worked in for about 30 seconds; repeat up to 3 or 4 times until spots are as invisible as you want

Follow all above with a wax.

Never let any kind of waterspot bake in the sun. That's a whole 'nother fun parade.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
1973 Mark IV Fanatic
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by 1973 Mark IV Fanatic »

Water spots were a nightmare for me on the dark royal blue 1984 Buick LeSabre I owned twenty years ago. I would polish the hell out of that car, and think I had it looking great. Then I would drive it over to the new car lot near my house and park it under the lights, and I would see that there were still water spots! That is when I learned that using a wax that allows water to "sheet" off of the finish is far superior to using traditional wax that causes water to "bead up." As for removing water spots, yes, the vinegar solution works well, and there is a product (I can't recall the name of it) that I have seen at Orchard Supply Hardware that is made especially for removing the water spots that are a common problem in Hawaii. I have never used this product, so I can't speak to how well it works. Next time I'm at OSH, I will see if they still carry this product and get the name of it and how much it retails for.
Jim Weller 1986 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition, 1996 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series, 2000 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition.
LINC400
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LINC400 »

Actually the water spots appear every time I wash the car. I can wax and get rid of them, it is just really annoying that I can't wash the car without getting them. I rinse the whole car, soap up a section at a time, then keep rinsing the entire car so that water doesn't dry on it. But I can never get the whole car dried without getting water spots all over it. I guess I just have really crappy hard water. I have heard a few other suggestions such as dry with a leaf blower, or take the nozzle off the hose so that water sheets over it instead of sprays, or dry in the garage instead of on the driveway. Then I would have to remove both cars from the garage. Just seems like a huge hassle.
1976 Continental Mark IV Givenchy
2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary convertible
previously owned
1979 Continental Mark V Cartier
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

Honestly the spot free rinse Arty my local car wash never leaves spots..
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

I never have a problem with water spots, but I always wash my car in the shade, either early in the morning as the sun is coming up or late in the evening as it's going down. In the morning the house shades the driveway and in the evening I have a large tree that shades the driveway. If sunlight is shining on the car, it doesn't get washed. I also use one of these and replace it every spring. I have no idea whether it helps or not, but for $17 it's worth thinking that maybe it helps:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-F ... e/14504321
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

This thread is now in the Sticky Topics sub-forum.

A friend I know recommends Liquid Glass.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Try de-ionized water for a spot free car wash. Not cheap, but shop around.
http://www.crspotless.com/
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
JonW
Lincoln Maniac

Post by JonW »

This is my favorite product for detailing the interior and tires:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/vin ... y=ourPicks

IMHO, this is the best product for use on tires. It leaves a subtle satin finish that looks like natural rubber, not that icky, gooey super-shiny finish that some products leave. I spray some on a folded-up terry towel and wipe down the tire. That way you don't get tire shine on your wheels. I've used this product for many years and it's the only thing I use on plastic and vinyl interior surfaces and on my tires.
1962 Continental resto-mod
Yeah, it's got a Hemi
1979 Mark V 1 of 1
Triple Turquoise
1979 Mark V Bill Blass Edition
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

Does anyone have any experience with chrome polish
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

ContiJohn wrote:Does anyone have any experience with chrome polish
Simichrome is my recommendation.
http://www.competitionchemicals.com/simichrome/
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
ContiJohn
Frequent Contributor

Post by ContiJohn »

Still needing some engine bay cleaning tips/products
66 continental sedan
89 town car
71 mark 3
04 Lincoln lse
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Just my own method:

Mask sensitive stuff (e.g., alternator) with plastic bags. Some people use degreasers and just hose the motor down, but my mechanic freaked when I asked him about this. I do a short soak in Simple Green for general cleaning, then do all cleaning with shop rags and a scrub brush--it's manual drudgery, but steam cleaning or power cleaning are too invasive.

I dress with cleaner wax for hard plastics and painted metal; vinyl conditioner for soft plastics, hoses, and wiring. I don't dress with Armor All, WD40, or other "tricks". Just looks like fried chicken grease when you're done and it attracts dirt and breaks down certain materials over time.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens