Lincoln detailing section.

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Lincoln detailing section.

Post by Dan Szwarc »

ContiJohn wrote:Still needing some engine bay cleaning tips/products
A quickie method is to spray everything with No Touch tire cleaner spray. It leaves a shine and pseudo-cleans everything.
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

The mini-dehumidifier I kept in my '67 crapped out last spring and the car pretty much sat unopened and unused for most of the year. Mildew started to form around the bottom of the seats. I removed the rear seat (back and bottom) and just used a cloth dampened with distilled vinegar (undilited) and went over all vinyl and leather surfaces, making sure to get into the creases around the welting and the stitching of the "ribs" on the seating surfaces. As the cloth got dirty, I got a fresh one dampned with vinegar, so that I didn't risk spreading mildew around. It worked like a miracle. Absolutely no harm to the leather (no color coming off) and no discoloration, but it removed the dirt and mildew beautifully. This was also what I did for the front seats, in situ. After they were all cleaned up and mildew-free, I went over everything with "The Tannery" for leather. Since my rear seatback was out, I tackled a little project I have been putting off for years. I took it to my uphosterer along with the roll of vinyl I had bought from SMS like 3 years ago, to have the side panel replaced. Before I bought the car a mouse had knawed little a hole in the vinyl about the size of a quarter, way down at the bottom :smt011 . No more mouse hole, no more mildew and The Tannery made everything smell amazing :smt004 . I have learned my lesson, though. No more ignoring the replacement of the mini dehumidifier when it craps out :wink:
Zacks Maximus
Occasional Visitor

Trunks

Post by Zacks Maximus »

Hey everybody I was wondering if anybody has had any luck with a product to spray through the holes of the trunk lid and hood of the suicide cars to neutralize rust and prevent further rusting. Even I suppose maybe to spray on the inside of the doors. So far I'm lucky that I have no rust through on my trunk but I do have some rust around the edges of the reinforcing steel on the bottom of the trunk and some pricks on the top surface. The pricks on the top aren't holes. I can't even poke a sharp tool through them they are solid. But since I can't afford a paint job, how should I handle this to preserve it best I can?

By the way thanks for letting me join your network. I was looking through it this afternoon and there is a lot of good information on here.

I'm not too good with the drive train of Lincolns but I'm pretty good with electrical and accessories so if you have any questions along those lines hit me up. That doesn't include convertible tops though sorry.
1965 Continental Town Car Sedan
Catch22

Post by Catch22 »

I have been using 303 Aerospace Protectant on all the Vinyl (dash,seat backs, door panels etc) and it is awesome stuff. Non greasy and leaves a matte finish while helping to protect from sunlight. I was looking for something for my dash on my 63 and the reviews on this stuff on amazon were amazing with some people using this stuff for many years with great results.

first post on here BTW. Picked up a 63 in California a few weeks ago and drove it back to Albuquerque
onedollarbob
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by onedollarbob »

Aerospace 303 is the best. I use it exclusively on all my vinyl now. The finish is great and it lasts the longest between applications. For some reason, nobody seems to know about this stuff . . . maybe because it's more known in the boating hobby and pretty difficult to find in a store. My NAPA sells it.
1979 Mark V Collector's Series -- Sold
1983 Mark VI Signature Series coupe -- R.I.P.
1989 Mark VII LSC

"After the final No there comes a Yes / And on that Yes the future of the world hangs." --Wallace Stevens
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

At our annual Classy Chassis car show, they give out goodie bags filled with give aways and samples of products. The 303 was in there from a year ago. I had never tired it. Now that I read this, I'll give it a shot.

There was an earlier post here about a product to spray in the holes between the layers of the trunk and hood to inhibit rust. Anyone use anything they think works?
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
CaptainDave
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by CaptainDave »

I just used RaggTopp for the first time. They make a cleaner and a protectant (and the latter comes in two "flavors" -- one for fabric tops, one for vinyl. I have a vinyl top. They fabric protectant is an aerosol can and the vinyl is a hand-grip spray bottles [as is the cleaner]). I used a tampico brush for the cleaning. The results were excellent. (Disclaimer: the car is garaged and I don't know how the top would look if left out in the sun, nor do I know how the treatment will "age." Lots of products look great right after application.) It's been a few weeks now and I'm very pleased. I haven't seen this mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It's available on Amazon.com or Wolfsteins.com, in various formats (combination packs, with or without brushes, etc.).
'66 convertible "The Blue Lagoon"
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Bump.

Please note the Cleaning and Detailing subforum is online.