Brochures, Owner's Manuals and Production Info 1956-2008

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

linc64
TLFer for Life

Brochures, Owner's Manuals and Production Info 1956-2008

Post by linc64 »

I suggested that this be in the sticky forum, but maybe it should be here too.
Thanks to Lincoln Land for providing this info.
http://www.lincolnlandinc.com/browsePro ... egory~1594
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Brochures, Owner's Manuals and Production Info 1956-2008

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

Jim and Dan: Do you guys believe that a showroom brochure is prima facie evidence of whether a given feature is 'stock' or authentic? I'm curious as to your opinion(s). I'm out of this 'game' now (with some regret); but I have been surprised by the frequency of ignorance as to what is right for a given year, for instance.

To risk "touching a third rail", look at the tire whitewall width in the '62 brochure versus the '63 showroom brochure. Can showroom brochures be used to substantiate authenticity? IF such printed materials are a reliable standard, then why is there so much ignorance abounding outside the LCOC membership? I would think that one of the first things that a restorer would do when contemplating a vehicle restoration, would be to obtain the factory-issued showroom brochure (or other documents)... to learn what's correct (versus what is not, usually presented by those with more money than proper appreciation for historical accuracy).
Last edited by Gerald F. Chase on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linc64
TLFer for Life

Post by linc64 »

Gerald F. Chase wrote: Can showroom brochures be used to substantiate authenticity?
I believe that they should be used in conjunction with other sources. They should not be used as the only source to substantiate authenticity, as the pictures are often modified.
Jim Ayres
Western Region Director
Photobucket link blocked by PB
Join the LCOC
Join the Lincoln Motorcar Foundation
ContiFan
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ContiFan »

Gerald F. Chase wrote:Do you guys believe that a showroom brochure is prima facie evidence of whether a given feature is 'stock' or authentic?
As you may recall, this topic was also discussed on the forum back in 2012:

Are showroom brochures reliable for authenticity?
http://thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/viewt ... =6&t=40113