Manually opening the top??

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ConTONental
Frequent Contributor

Re: Manually opening the top??

Post by ConTONental »

Ok, so everything is hooked up and still nothing. Trying to use the jumper on each relay and so far nothing. There has to be something that I am overlooking. Luckily for me, my mechanically inclined father in law is coming down for the weekend!! More to come...
The Big Man - 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible
The Daily Driver - 2011 GMC Acadia
The Lady's Jet - 2004 Supercharged Volkswagen Jetta
The Kid's Wheels- 2013 Huffy Disney Car's 2 Bicycle (Not supercharged)
ConTONental
Frequent Contributor

Post by ConTONental »

Holy cow what a productive weekend!! Ok, so the top will cycle through from up to down to back up. Had a few cycles that were flawless however the last few went like this... 1). When opening: Deck unlock, deck raise, upper back panel raise 1/2 way up, then will finish with help, top unlocks, top retracts, deck closes, deck locks. When Closing: Deck unlocks, deck raises while the UBP does not stay erect and drags through until the deck is completely raised, top goes up, top locks, deck closes, deck locks. OR 2) When opening: Deck unlock, deck raise, upper back panel raise 1/2 way up, then will finish with help, top unlocks, top retracts, deck closes, deck locks. When Closing: Deck unlocks, deck raises while the UBP stays erect, top goes up, top locks 1/2 way, top close motor continues to run until the deck closes, deck locks, top remains 1/2 locked and not fully closed. Any suggestions???
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

It sure sounds like you need to fix the UBP motor and/or associated switches, as well as the top lock motor and/or its associated limit switches.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
ConTONental
Frequent Contributor

Post by ConTONental »

The top doesn't lock enough to engage the limit switches so I'm not sure where the issue is. If the top lock motor stops running 1/2 way through the cycle and the limit switch doesn't engage, shouldn't that prevent the deck from closing since the limit switch isn't telling the relay to stop??
toddallen
TLFer for Life

Post by toddallen »

The top doesn't lock enough to engage the limit switches so I'm not sure where the issue is. If the top lock motor stops running 1/2 way through the cycle and the limit switch doesn't engage, shouldn't that prevent the deck from closing since the limit switch isn't telling the relay to stop??
Yes, providing the limit switches are working and not stuck, you need to test them out. You probably have multiple problems. I would remove the gear housings of both the top lock and UBP gearbox, clean out the old grease and install new, it may be hardened crud in there.
1963 Linc Convertible
1963 Linc Vert parts car
1968 Mustang FB
2009 Cadillac CTS
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

ConTONental wrote:The top doesn't lock enough to engage the limit switches so I'm not sure where the issue is. If the top lock motor stops running 1/2 way through the cycle and the limit switch doesn't engage, shouldn't that prevent the deck from closing since the limit switch isn't telling the relay to stop??
You have a good point there. But check the top unlock and lock limit switches just to make sure.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
RMAENV
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by RMAENV »

Go to the header in the (about 8 screws) top. There are two switches one on the passenger side and one on the driver side. The arm moves back and forth ingaging one or the other switch (these are your top lock and unlock switches) one of them appears to be sticking or out of adjustment. When the top is unlocked the passenger switch is extended and when the top is locked the driver side is extended. Pull on them a bit to make sure they are not sticking. Watch them when the top locks to make sure the right swich depresses in both the lock and unlock position and the other switch FULLY disengages (pull no it a bit to make sure it is fully out and not making contact. If both are engaged nothing will happen with the top locks. Also make sure the top up switch in the middle of the header is working properly... definately might be a job for a spray can of electrical contact cleaner.
Rob
1966 Lincoln Convertible (White/Black)
1957 Chevy Bel Air Resto-Mod (Anthricite/Black)
2009 Challenger SRT 6.1 Hemi (Hemi Orange Pearl/Black)
2012 Expedition EL (White Titanium Tricoat/Charcoal)
Daddys_65
Occasional Visitor

Post by Daddys_65 »

Here ya go ConTONental,

Kinda expensive, but from what some of my buddies tell me, well worth the price. Item works just as described. One of my buddies blew his master pump. Said he was able to bleed/replace all the fluids in his entire system in @ 20min. on his first attempt. retails for about $42.00

http://store.convertibleparts.com/f-m.html
Attachments
fluid-matic.gif
fluid-matic.gif (8.35 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
ConTONental
Frequent Contributor

Post by ConTONental »

I am having another problem with my top. It has been working fine for quite a while now, but last weekend after I had new tires put on, the Deck Lid quit closing about 1 inch from being fully closed, now absolutely nothing happens but a "click". I have jumped the deck up and deck unlock relays, and nothing is happening. I put a Electrometer(??) in the plugs and nothing happened which told me that maybe the power wasn't getting to the switch, so I changed ALL of the fuses in the dash and still nothing, no power to the plugs but still a "click" when I try to put the top up, nothing when I try to put it down. I assume it is either a broken wire, or something between the fuse panel and the battery possibly the top pump. Recent work has included new tires, new steering gearbox and rag joint, painted wheel wells, new starter and solenoid. Since the lid quit working Ive had new exhaust put in from the front seat back. Any suggestions??
BLUE66CONTI

Post by BLUE66CONTI »

If the lid is locked open about 1" as you say, you may be able to trick it with a jumper wire from your battery to the leads on the relay located on the passenger side of the trunk front mounted on the screw locking receptacle. touch the wire to the bottom lead and it should operate the system up. :) I can try and scan a diagram when I get a chance. I would try and get a shop manual or even just the section on top the system is layed out pretty nice and there are alot of moving parts…. good luck!! Otherwise you can also get to the relays by pulling the rear seat cushion. If it ever gets stuck in the locked postition you can unbolt the locking mounts from the tire wells, that is if your hydraulics doesnt fight you like mine has.... :)
mjv8507
Occasional Visitor

Post by mjv8507 »

nice post.. thanks guys
1962 LCC
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Contact John Cashman for the proper bleeding procedure for the deck and top pumps. No need to crack a line or spill fluid.

John can also diagnose any electrical problem. Call him. He's probably in the pacific time zone.