Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Re: Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Latest update: The owner had all of the seals replaced in the power steering pump and it is working flawlessly. However, the fuel pump (original) began to leak. Instead of having the original 3-port Carter rebuilt, he bought a "new" pump from O'Reilly's. I was initially concerned because I didn't think the 3-port pumps could be obtained any longer, but that is what he said:

"I've saved the original but the new one is a 3 port also. All a/c cars have a vapor return line so the only difference with the new pump is it has 2 screws in the top instead of no screws. These are common replacements and should give no trouble."

I would lean towards having the original rebuilt if I end up with the car.

Thoughts?
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Toss the aftermarket one and have the original one rebuilt by Mike Casella. He's the bomb-diggity of fuel pumps. He did mine several years ago, but it failed and started tinkling fuel from the bottom hole. I called him and he asked me to send it back. I had it back in LITERALLY 2 days and never had a problem again. The price was extremely reasonable. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

email: OUR32@aol.com

Mike Casella
447 Washington St.
Weymouth, MA 02188
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

ekm330 wrote:Toss the aftermarket one and have the original one rebuilt by Mike Casella. He's the bomb-diggity of fuel pumps. He did mine several years ago, but it failed and started tinkling fuel from the bottom hole. I called him and he asked me to send it back. I had it back in LITERALLY 2 days and never had a problem again. The price was extremely reasonable. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat.

email: OUR32@aol.com

Mike Casella
447 Washington St.
Weymouth, MA 02188
My thoughts too. I've read how everyone is very impressed with Mike. I would definitely send it to him. I'd throw a new pump actuator rod at it too while I'm at it. What confuses me is I thought 3-port pumps were no longer available. Oh well.
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

So, the owner of the sedan found out he didn't quite like the aftermarket fuel pump due to all of the modifications needed to the original hoses to make it work. He ended up driving to his usual rebuilder who cleaned up the pump and rebuilt with new parts. Supposedly it is working like a champ. Whoever his rebuilder is provides a quick turn around too - while you wait, that is. It's looking more and more like this will be the one that I go for. I am flying out to California a week from today for a personal inspection.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Fresh picture whoring. I know how everyone loves them. The gold doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it would. It's more of a medium greenish gold, although, the paint is original and faded so it could look much different when repainted. There's a little bit of body damage, but nothing that can't be repaired when a paint job is due. Aftermarket body side mouldings definitely need to go. He is asking $7,000 for the car. I think it may be slightly high given the exterior work that it needs, but the mechanicals are about as good as you can get. Factory vinyl top is still intact and in good shape. No speaker grill crack as dash pad was already replaced. Clock has been quartzed. Brand new tires. Exhaust manifold gaskets and resonators replaced. Needs two new mufflers. Leather will need a little attention on top of rear seat back from sun damage - luckily he has another seat back in much nicer shape that he is including. Overhauled factory radio to be reinstalled. Best part.....no rust. I am flying out Friday to take a closer look. Out of the 100 or so people I contacted and numerous cars I have looked at, this is the best I have been able to find thus far that meets most of my requirements....wish me luck.
Attachments
Better seat back - 4 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 4 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 3 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 3 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 2 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 2 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 1 - during Leatherique treatment
Better seat back - 1 - during Leatherique treatment
untitled22.JPG
untitled21a.JPG
untitled20a.JPG
untitled19.JPG
untitled18.JPG
untitled17.JPG
untitled16.JPG
untitled15a.JPG
untitled14.JPG
untitled13a.JPG
untitled12.JPG
untitled11.JPG
untitled10.JPG
untitled9.JPG
untitled8.JPG
untitled7.JPG
untitled6.JPG
untitled5.JPG
untitled4.JPG
untitled3.JPG
untitled2.JPG
untitled.JPG
Last edited by LithiumCobalt on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

More...

Weatherstripping appears good. He said he ran through a touchless wash and there were no leaks in the interior cabin or trunk. Amazing considering the dry climate of California.

The more I look at this color, the more it grows on me. Never thought I would say that about gold. It does appear to look nicer than the typical champagne colors. I still like the darker colors better on this car, though.
Attachments
untitled31.JPG
untitled30.JPG
untitled29.JPG
untitled28.JPG
untitled27.JPG
untitled26.JPG
untitled25.JPG
untitled24.JPG
untitled23.JPG
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Well, went to see car and another letdown (more I talked myself out of it). The car was not a beater by any stretch, but one of those that still didn't make sense to me. It ran and ran well, but I started to add up the cost of paint, and all of the other little stuff and wondered why I would spend $20k fixing a sedan so I passed. Owner wouldn't budge from $7,000 and there seemed to be something new that he would remember needed fixed everytime we conversed (although he answered any question that I would have and always gave good advice). A/C needed to be overhauled, needed fan clutch, mufflers, chrome, and PAINT. Car also had the dealer installed body side moldings that required holes in the body to mount (before the days of adhesive backed applications). Rear seat back needed work, all the seats were quite dry, trunk carpet had worn spots, tires weren't quite right, etc, etc, etc. It did run and ride very nicely, though. I am about the king of flip-flopping when it comes to these cars. I still think I can find something better. I am back to looking for a convertible if I am going to spend that kind of coin. Thinking this morning, I have no idea why I didn't go look at other cars listed for sale in California while we were there this weekend, but oh well, we'd like to go back again for the fun of it.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

The search is finally over. Stay tuned for more coming soon.
Nick
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Nick
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

That looks almost like the shade of gold that Frankenstein was originally painted. The color combo of that car is very nice, I must say! In fact, the whole car looks nice!

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

One of the important things is to not have 'rot' in the "doglegs"!
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Meh, you’d be hard pressed to find one of these cars that hasn’t had dogleg work done, even in dry states. It’s the first thing to go and usually the most vulnerable. I’ve seen a lot of cars that have otherwise perfect original sheet metal, but the damn doglegs almost always need work. I’d be more concerned with floor pans and rockers being shot. At that point, you’ve got a parts car. You can get a car from the Deep South, but then that usually means cooked paint and a destroyed interior and rubber. I’d probably almost rather have that than a rust pile, though.
Nick
Gerald F. Chase
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Gerald F. Chase »

GOOD "TORQUE BOXES".. esp. in a convert!