Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

This forum is a place for topics that are found to be commonly asked by new members who are unable to find the answers to questions that have been asked and answered in the past.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

Post by LithiumCobalt »

I thought I would solicit some advice from the dedicated folks here. I am starting to look seriously for a '67 Continental sedan or convertible. I am pretty set on the '67. I plan to run any potential buys through the forum here to get any feedback from the experts. Obviously, I know the convertible top can be problematic and expensive to fix. Other than that, I don't really know much more about the car electrically, mechanically, or bodywise. So in an interest of learning what to look for, what do you guys think as far as potential pitfalls of the '67 as well what is more desirable? I'd like to have a highly optioned car, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like the options add much appeal or value, other than A/C. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Help me learn what I am looking for!

Regards,

Nick
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Re: Looking for 67 sedan or 'vert - what should I look for?

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Buy the nicest car you can afford.
lincolnfanatic4life
No Longer With Us

Post by lincolnfanatic4life »

just be aware owning a lincoln is about love for teh car..

it'll never be worth what it costs to restore or build...so you either do it and accept that or be prepared to loss your ass down the road if you decide to sell, or plan to just flip a car for resale.

but as stated above buy the best condition car you can afford and go from there..
1968 Lincoln continental
full chrome delete
all black on 20"s
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

These cars are fairly straight-forward and easy to work on, including the top. Once things have been sorted out you can get many reliable miles out of these cars. They were designed fairly well (with the exception of nylon timing gears :) and build quality was excellent. But the passage of over 40 years takes its toll. As others have said, try to find a car that is the best you can afford. If you cannot afford a relatively clean car, at least avoid a rusty example. Are you planning to buy a car that is in need of restoration, a restored car (or excellent original), or something in between?
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

lincolnfanatic4life wrote:just be aware owning a lincoln is about love for teh car..

it'll never be worth what it costs to restore or build...so you either do it and accept that or be prepared to loss your a$$ down the road if you decide to sell, or plan to just flip a car for resale.

but as stated above buy the best condition car you can afford and go from there..
Hi fanatic,

Believe me, I know all about this problem. I will be the first to admit that I have a sickness. I've already put gads of money into two 90's Town Cars just to get them to my standards so I can only imagine what a 60's Continental would do to my wallet. My wife tends to get rather uptight and uncomfortable anytime I talk about getting parts for the car. :D She's coming around, though. Bottom line is, I am a Lincoln guy through and through and I really don't have any concept of money spent on restoration vs. actual resale value. I already know I could never sell my Town Car for what I have in it. That's just how it goes, though. I get a lot of enjoyment out of wrenching myself.

Regards,
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

LC67Vert wrote:These cars are fairly straight-forward and easy to work on, including the top. Once things have been sorted out you can get many reliable miles out of these cars. They were designed fairly well (with the exception of nylon timing gears :) and build quality was excellent. But the passage of over 40 years takes its toll. As others have said, try to find a car that is the best you can afford. If you cannot afford a relatively clean car, at least avoid a rusty example. Are you planning to buy a car that is in need of restoration, a restored car (or excellent original), or something in between?
I've briefly viewed other threads on the nylon timing gears going wonky. I am guessing there's no way to really tell if the job has been done short of removing the front cover? Are there any other things like this that are just destined to fail and are weak spots?
Nick
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Your main focus is that the top and windows should all be working and the car should not be a bondo-buggy. Everything else affects all cars (like loose center links and bad steering gear mounts) and are easily fixed.

The lower the mileage the better. The nicer the interior the better. A rough car that "just needs paint" will need everything else, too.
66Lincoupe
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by 66Lincoupe »

Dan Szwarc wrote:The nicer the interior the better
Ditto - I thought I had it made with my desert sheetmetal, but to go to stock interior it's going to be as painstaking as fixing dented rusty panels... speaking of rust - it can be awful on these... So try to find as dry a car as possible!
Rob
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Oh. And look for a convertible not a sedan.
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

Dan Szwarc wrote:Oh. And look for a convertible not a sedan.
Definately agree with this. For every dollar you piss away on a convertible, at least you will get back 50 cents on the dollar. For a sedan, you might get back 10 cents on the dollar.
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

LithiumCobalt wrote:I thought I would solicit some advice from the dedicated folks here. I am starting to look seriously for a '67 Continental sedan or convertible. I am pretty set on the '67. I plan to run any potential buys through the forum here to get any feedback from the experts. Obviously, I know the convertible top can be problematic and expensive to fix. Other than that, I don't really know much more about the car electrically, mechanically, or bodywise. So in an interest of learning what to look for, what do you guys think as far as potential pitfalls of the '67 as well what is more desirable? I'd like to have a highly optioned car, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem like the options add much appeal or value, other than A/C. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Help me learn what I am looking for!

Regards,

Nick
Personally, I'd much prefer a highly optioned car versus a stripped model. Dual contour front seats with center console and reclining passenger seat with power headrest is a pretty rare option. Even if it's a bench, the reclining passenger seat with power headrest is more desireable than standard bench. The passenger side remote mirror is VERY rare. While some accessories can be retrofitted, it should have as many "basics" as you can get. For me, A/C (automatic climate control is preferred to standard A/C system), power mini-vent windows rather than the little cranks, dual contour seats with center console, vacuum remote trunk release (sedan only), AM stereo 8-track (more speakers than AM only and sounds better) or AM-FM with separate 8-track (mounted under the dash), power antenna, tilt wheel, and I'm sure that I am missing a few of my "favorites". I disagree with your assessment that optioned vs. not-so-optioned cars don't seem to be more appealing or command more money, all other things being equal. A car with more options usually sells faster and for more money than a car in the same condition, but less options. Regardless, no A/C is the biggest negative.

There were lots of accessories offerred on these cars. These links may help you out. Despite the fact that only 2200 or so convertibles were made for '67, they are not rare in the marketplace. Just wait for the right color, condition, options to hit the market. As has been said, you can spend a fortune making a car the way you want it. It's best to wait for the right one to come along, spend more, do less and be happy.

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... 39&t=30575

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =6&t=33560

http://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/v ... =5&t=30501
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Thanks for all of the information provided thus far guys. It pretty much confirms what I was thinking before. I think I am leaning towards a car that needs mild restoration or one that is already in very good condition and just needs a few things here or there or the smaller details worked on. I definitely don't want something I have to build from the ground up considering you can get very wrapped up financially in something like that.

EKM- Thanks for the links, I will check them out.

I like the convertible and the sedan both, but understand the 'vert is more desirable due to its limited production. A 'vert would just be more fun too. I was looking to spend maybe $15k-20k and think I can get something in decent condition for that price range in today's soft market. A convertible is obviously going to be on the upper end or even well above that if in very good condition from what I have seen others go for. Obviously, depending on history and condition, the price could be all over the place. Do my comments on price sound reasonable?

I've got the accessories catalog, sales brochure, owner's manual and a few other supplemental factory manuals that I have looked through so I can identify the option set pretty easily when looking at the cars now.

I will also add that I have went through the whole 66 vs. 67 authenticity thread that has been started and I am astounded at all of the very minute changes made in just one year that even someone as anal as me would probably not notice if it wasn't pointed out. Looking forward to seeing a complete authenticity manual.

Are there any trouble spots I should look for other than the obvious, rust and "run hard and put away wet" look?
Nick
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Especially when it comes to a convertible, do not shop by price alone. A high price does not always (or even ususally) mean it's a quality car. I see high priced cars advertised lots of times. By high-priced, I mean north of $20K. When a discriminating eye looks at them, they are often cheaply thrown together for a quick buck. It's the equivalent to flipping a house. Do the least possible and ask the most for it; just make it "pretty". Case in point, look on eBay right now and there's a convertible that's been color changed (to black, of course :roll: ) The buy-it-now price is almost $60k. It has some options, but for anything north of $25K, it'd better be a very original example with all things working, or a quality restoration with proper parts, proper leather with "metallic" finish and proper texture, the horizontal band on the seatback slightly darker than the rest, proper wood-grain panels in the doors, proper wheel covers for '67, proper '67 grille and tail-light frames, etc., etc. and EVERYTHING working. For the biggest money, I am looking at the smallest details. On this car, the rear passenger window doesnt even auto-drop. It may be worth $20-$25k to someone, but certainly not close to $60K. Plus, you don't know what's been jimmied or if there has been any extensive body work (and if so, was it done correctly). If at all possible, one should personally inspect any car that purports to be this nice and this pricey.

For ANY car under consideration, request lots and lots of detailed photos and see how willing the seller is to answer any and all of your questions easily and candidly. Personally, I'd prefer to get a good solid car that's not been "restored". You can find these for low to mid-teens. The leather seats will likely be cracked, the paint may be faded or spiderwebbed, the chrome may be dull or even pitted and maybe some things won't work. But you can see it as it is. Of course, it depends on what kind of time you have. I have that type of convertible, but unfortunately, I don't have much time to tinker so it pretty much sits :? . Still, I know that for what I paid, I can do things properly and have a damn nice car for the same price as the buy-it-now price on that black car. Mine has more options, including the desireable split seats with center console. At the same or a little more than $25K invested, my car would be far and away better than a "flip" car. I just have to find out how to buy the time I need to fiddle with it :) .

So, figure out what you want: a "finished" car that may not be spot-on correct or quality, but you just jump in and cruise, or a car that you can do some work to and make it as perfect as you want. Regardless of what you decide on, plan to continue to spend money on all the things that will fail as a matter of age and routine.
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

ekm330 wrote:Especially when it comes to a convertible, do not shop by price alone. A high price does not always (or even ususally) mean it's a quality car. I see high priced cars advertised lots of times. By high-priced, I mean north of $20K. When a discriminating eye looks at them, they are often cheaply thrown together for a quick buck. It's the equivalent to flipping a house. Do the least possible and ask the most for it; just make it "pretty". Case in point, look on eBay right now and there's a convertible that's been color changed (to black, of course :roll: ) The buy-it-now price is almost $60k. It has some options, but for anything north of $25K, it'd better be a very original example with all things working, or a quality restoration with proper parts, proper leather with "metallic" finish and proper texture, the horizontal band on the seatback slightly darker than the rest, proper wood-grain panels in the doors, proper wheel covers for '67, proper '67 grille and tail-light frames, etc., etc. and EVERYTHING working. For the biggest money, I am looking at the smallest details. On this car, the rear passenger window doesnt even auto-drop. It may be worth $20-$25k to someone, but certainly not close to $60K. Plus, you don't know what's been jimmied or if there has been any extensive body work (and if so, was it done correctly). If at all possible, one should personally inspect any car that purports to be this nice and this pricey.

For ANY car under consideration, request lots and lots of detailed photos and see how willing the seller is to answer any and all of your questions easily and candidly. Personally, I'd prefer to get a good solid car that's not been "restored". You can find these for low to mid-teens. The leather seats will likely be cracked, the paint may be faded or spiderwebbed, the chrome may be dull or even pitted and maybe some things won't work. But you can see it as it is. Of course, it depends on what kind of time you have. I have that type of convertible, but unfortunately, I don't have much time to tinker so it pretty much sits :? . Still, I know that for what I paid, I can do things properly and have a damn nice car for the same price as the buy-it-now price on that black car. Mine has more options, including the desireable split seats with center console. At the same or a little more than $25K invested, my car would be far and away better than a "flip" car. I just have to find out how to buy the time I need to fiddle with it :) .

So, figure out what you want: a "finished" car that may not be spot-on correct or quality, but you just jump in and cruise, or a car that you can do some work to and make it as perfect as you want. Regardless of what you decide on, plan to continue to spend money on all the things that will fail as a matter of age and routine.
Kent,

Funny that you mentioned the $60k car on Ebay. I know the very one you speak of. It's been listed for some time now and I completely agree with your comments. I asked some of the same questions when I first saw it advertised. Why somoene would pay $60k for a car obviously not in its original color scheme is beyond me (and they even advertise this fact). If they can't even maintain that type of originality, I wonder what else has been "modified" so that it is no longer correct. I actually emailed the seller some time back, since I have too much time on my hands sometimes, and asked how they expected to get $60k for a car obviously not in its original color scheme despite it looking very nice. Needless to say, I got no response. Too bad it's not a better deal and original, it's relatively close to me.

I guess my biggest disadvantage is that I haven't seen enough of the original 60's Continentals to have a reference point to know what doesn't look right and what does. The 66 vs. 67 authenticity thread is what has helped me the most thus far as well as the accessories book that I have. I will be going to the LCOC Mid-America meet next month so I plan to look thoroughly and talk with owners, etc to see what all is out there. The more I see the more I can study good and bad examples. That should help with my experience a little bit.

I suppose the finished vs. unfinished theory is one I still have to wrestle with. I do know that I don't want something that has to be rebuilt from the bottom up. Although it's a fun journey along the way, it's certain one would get so deep into it financially that the costs would never been recoverable. I know these old cars can be expensive regardless, but a complete rebuild would drive my wife over the edge. Haha.

I hope to see some good examples at the LCOC next month and there's another LCOC member that lives here in Fort Wayne with a '67 convertible so I think I may get in touch with him and have a chat for a while.
Nick
ekm330
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by ekm330 »

Nick,

I'd also suggest you contact John Cashman (813) 390-1950 http://convertiblelincolns.com/ . Since he travels the country fixing top and window problems, he knows who has cars for sale or potentially for sale. Plus, he can give you a little expert advice about the cars he's serviced that are for sale. John Harrell at Lincoln Land's service department (Clearwater, FL) also often knows of cars for sale or potentially for sale. The most important thing is patience (aside from being well-informed about these cars). There are lots of folks that frequent these forums who have great insight and knowledge about cars from various years. Just keep posting your questions as they come up :wink: