Re: Template for where to place emblems on C-pillars?

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

MFE
Occasional Visitor

Template for where to place emblems on C-pillars?

Post by MFE »

My '69 Sedan didn't come to me with emblems on the roof panel C-pillars, nor the holes where they may have been located. Does anyone know how to measure or apply a template so that they're properly placed when I go to install them?
1969 Continental Sedan
Phoenix area
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Template for where to place emblems on C-pillars?

Post by TonyC »

Being that all '69s left the factory with emblems on their C-pillars, that tells me that a prior owner did a rather convincing Bondo job, good enough that you cannot pinpoint from the outside where the emblems are supposed to go. However, there still should be a way to spot the exact mount point, by going in through the inside of the C-pillar. You will need to remove the interior trim where the reading light is and the insulation beneath it. When you do, look for two vertically-placed holes that are likely filled up with Bondo; there has to be a telltale sign of that, as holes can only be filled but not eliminated; and I seriously doubt that any Bondo job, professional or otherwise, will hide the locations of the original holes on the inside (where nobody would see without going into the pillar as I noted) to the point they cannot be seen. When you spot them, take a very small drill bit and drill them out so you can see them from the outside; from there, move up to a larger bit that is the same thickness as the emblems' mounting poles, and drill the holes out to size. Then you should be able to mount your emblems right where they originally were placed. Just to ensure a good water seal, I recommend using some type of sealant on the poles when you put the emblems in place; even though they will be fastened down with trim nuts, that should at least prevent any traces of water leaking in through them.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”