Finding the correct screws

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

George W
Lincoln Maniac

Re: Finding the correct screws

Post by George W »

"Test" every time I tried to post an answer on the screw question I write my reply and submit only to be kicked out as not being signed in. But I was signed in. Next I posted this "Test" and then went back to edit and resubmit only to be kicked out again.
I'm not sure this will post.

Napa sells all sorts of automotive trim fasteners. They're packed in bag packs and labelled under their Balkamp brand. I recently bought a bag of 23 "small head" oval Phillips trim screws. # 8 X 3/4 with a # 6 head. They were only $6. Napa had a very good selection of these hard to find "small headed" screws. These screws were commonly used on American cars of the 60s, 70s and 80s. Silver and black too.
Last edited by George W on Thu May 20, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1965 Sedan, white w/ black vinyl top and red leather. 28k miles
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Finding the correct screws

Post by tomo »

Action,
Standard parts were used for many years, any new fasteners were listed in the Chassis or Body or MPC catalogs. I don't know how often the Standard Parts were published as dealers did not always order the latest update. My experience stopped in the early 1950s when Uncle Sam wanted me and my career change after I finished with my tour of duty. By the late 1960s the catalogs were being migrated to micro fiche and hard copy catalogs are difficult to find. The old micro fiche just slipped into the round bin at the parts man's foot.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”