Firewall Pad

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Firewall Pad

Post by mge825y »

I found this on-line site (Collectors Auto Supply) that offers a 3-piece Firewall Pad with clips for a 1963 Lincoln/Mercury Continental / Colony Park Comet Marauder. I think I saw them advertised for sale on eBay too. Here are the details with a link below and a picture:
Firewall Sound Deadener Insulation Pad
Your ride looks hot, but you don't have to feel the heat while driving it! Our top-notch Firewall Sound Deadener Insulation Pads reduce heat and unwanted noise seeping into your cabin from the engine bay. Our
insulation pads will make your ride noticeably quieter, allowing you to actually take a phone call while you're driving. Install now for a more pleasurable ride!
• Manufactured in the US
• Includes HeatShield that protects your ride against all types of heat transfer
• Easily dyed with a flat vinyl plastic spray paint to match the rest of your interior
• Reduce the heat and noise infiltrating your ride, improve the cabin environment
• Enjoy a quieter, cooler and safer ride

https://collectorsautosupply.com/firewa ... auder-3pc/

They have them for other model years too.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has purchased and used one of these?
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Firewall Pad

Post by action »

Hush mat or their competition does about the same thing added under the carpet and can be run up the inside of the cowl area. The advantage to an inside job is the sound deadener is concealed and will not pick up road dirt.

As a side note, when I worked for the company I used the word firewall in a conversation with a field engineer. He looked at me with a piercing look and said, "Ford Motor Company does not make firewalls! If they did that would assume there could be a fire. Not a good thing to speak about. Use the term cowl."
And to boot that was a conversation in 1979 or so. Pintos were hot on the mind of all the Parts and Service Division.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Wow, that's actually pretty cool! I ran into an issue with Frankenstein's existing firewall pad when I was swapping out A/C control boxes: Due to age, it was loose and coming apart when I was trying to position the box in place, jamming up the whole ruddy mess. I had to use glue to try holding the material down so the control box wouldn't jam. If somebody has started reproducing those pads, that means it will be possible to replace something that until now could not be replaced.

Should keep watch on this, see if they make pads for the other years of the decade.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

I requested some additional info from them and they sent me this diagram with measurements. My '63 is at the shop being painted, so It's not near me to measure for fitment.

If anyone with a '63 has their car near and has the time, it'd be good to know if this part fits.
Attachments
LMR-FWP-500_V2.JPG
LMR-FWP-500_V2.JPG (27.98 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

TonyC wrote:Wow, that's actually pretty cool! I ran into an issue with Frankenstein's existing firewall pad when I was swapping out A/C control boxes: Due to age, it was loose and coming apart when I was trying to position the box in place, jamming up the whole ruddy mess. I had to use glue to try holding the material down so the control box wouldn't jam. If somebody has started reproducing those pads, that means it will be possible to replace something that until now could not be replaced.

Should keep watch on this, see if they make pads for the other years of the decade.

---Tony
Yeah - I recall when I pulled my old carpets out some 3 years ago. What was left of the firewall insulator came apart like confetti and wholly unusable.
Mark in Charlotte
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Sound deadening products that are out now out preform the old OE stuff that is now 50 to 60 years old.

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”