Get ready for the paint job

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

ews
Occasional Visitor

Get ready for the paint job

Post by ews »

Hi, Greetings from Germany to the other side of the pond.
I like to know how to remove the alloy frame around the front and mostly important from the rear window.
Before I do something I will regret I ask you to help me with some hints.
So how to start that task?
Thanks in advance and stay healthy.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Re: Get ready for the paint job

Post by TonyC »

Greetings,

I'm not quite sure if I understand your question; I presume we're talking Suicide Lincoln (the '63 model?). Are you referring to the chrome frames around the windshield and rear window? If so, they are mostly clipped on into place and will need special pry tools to remove. That applies to all except the bottom rail at the windshield, which is screwed into place. The screws are hidden under the cowl, which will need to be removed to access them.

Some shops here just mask off the chrome strips all around the car if they are too involved to remove, such as the window rails, the door handles, some bumper trim...but do clarify what exactly you are asking about, in case I didn't understand correctly.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
ews
Occasional Visitor

Re: Get ready for the paint job

Post by ews »

Sorry I didn’t give the full set of informations.
It is a 68 Continental.
The shop manual talks about window moulding but there us no advice how to remove them.
I know it is possible to cover them with tape.
This was done previously to this paint job and to be honest I don’t like it.
I am German and I can’t help.
Thanks for the reply

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”