Emergency Hood Release Latch

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Emergency Hood Release Latch

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

Great article in the most recent issue of Comments on how to install an emergency hood release latch. Thought there was something here, but looked last year and couldn't find anything. Gonna have my mechanic put it in after the winter.

Of all the things that could go wrong with the car, that's the only one I'm worried about because it's a little thing that can cause a big problem.
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Re: Emergency Hood Release Latch

Post by Ken Stevens »

Details and photos will be appreciated!
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
Ken Stevens
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Ken Stevens »

Is this an available kit or an ad hoc solution?
Ken Stevens
61 LC Convertible
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Got my magazine last night...you can do this yourself with readily available parts. Somewhere on here I did my own set of instructions. but I don't know where it is. I didn't label it as a new post, just glommed on to someone else's. Wayne
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

The best solution is to keep the hood latch and cable lubricated so it operates freely. They should be lubricated every oil change or seasonally.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

tomo wrote:The best solution is to keep the hood latch and cable lubricated so it operates freely. They should be lubricated every oil change or seasonally.
i lubricate the latch frequently. how do you lube the cable itself?
1961 Sedan
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

I didn't see the article but isn't there a writeup somewhere about running a wire from the latch into the wheel well to make a back up release?
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

There have been posts about how to do this. They go back nearly 15 years or more. I challenge someone to find one!

The release cable is attached to the latch then routed dangling under the car. It has to be routed to it will pull the latch aft.

The cable doesn't really need to be lubed, but hosing it down with WD-40 and exercising it a lot (or using it frequently) is a good idea.
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Dan Szwarc wrote:There have been posts about how to do this. They go back nearly 15 years or more. I challenge someone to find one!
You mean like this one? (It includes an older link) :occasion-snowman:

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 5&p=316383

I have no idea why I bothered looking and it's not what I was thinking of but it might not even have been here I saw it.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Dan Szwarc
Site Admin

Post by Dan Szwarc »

Mike wrote:You mean like this one? (It includes an older link) :occasion-snowman:

https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3/ ... 5&p=316383

I have no idea why I bothered looking and it's not what I was thinking of but it might not even have been here I saw it.
Well, Yeah. That thread links to the procedure to open from 2008: EMERGENCY HOOD RELEASE PROCEDURE

I recommend anyone who wants to add an emergency release cable on their own to just examine their car and figure out what will work. It's not hard and trying to follow someone's instructions will likely waste more time than if you just grabbed some cable, connected it yourself, then figured out where to route it so it would release.
Stuart M. Cohen
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Stuart M. Cohen »

"It's not hard and trying to follow someone's instructions will likely waste more time than if you just grabbed some cable, connected it yourself, then figured out where to route it so it would release.

Unless you are a mechanical moron like me!

It's already on the spring "to do" list for my mechanic.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

One day I have to see about doing that. The one thing that has stopped me from doing it is trying to figure out where to route the emergency release. I do not want to thread it to the outside, because that nullifies the advantage of having an inside release handle. But I'm sure I may be able to think of a way to route such a backup release to the inside, so that way vandals and thieves cannot sabotage or rip off things in my engine bay.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

To lube a plastic covered cable, I just spray WD40 on the wire inside and under the hood, like Dan said, to clean it. Then I spray silicone lube on the wire both inside the car and under the hood. If the cable is not covered, I dribble a light oil like 3in1 over the length of the cable. In both cases I operate the cable several times to make sure there are no binds.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
Solid
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by Solid »

TonyC wrote:One day I have to see about doing that. The one thing that has stopped me from doing it is trying to figure out where to route the emergency release. I do not want to thread it to the outside, because that nullifies the advantage of having an inside release handle. But I'm sure I may be able to think of a way to route such a backup release to the inside, so that way vandals and thieves cannot sabotage or rip off things in my engine bay.

---Tony
Hmm, thieves so intent on stealing stuff that they don’t bypass the ancient door locks and instead use their psychic powers to know you have a hood release reachable under the car so they can instead steal your... ???
:grin:
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Hmm, thieves so intent on stealing stuff that they don’t bypass the ancient door locks and instead use their psychic powers to know you have a hood release reachable under the car so they can instead steal your... ???
:grin:
Essentially, yes.

Sure, those locks are ancient to a professional lock-picker...but fact is that a pro can and will pick any lock if he has the talent, hardware, and motivation. Proof is in the number of vehicles less than 20 years old that are stolen every day. Of course, any lock-picker runs the risk of being spotted in the middle of a job, so why not keep that risk high by forcing him to pick a lock? Pro thieves can also look for secret access points (e.g., "Hide-A-Keys"), and I prefer not to have them come up on a "secret" outside latch release.

There's a reason the entire auto industry followed Lincoln's temporary lead to delete outside hood latch releases—battery thefts and even plain old-fashioned vandalism were common in the late-'60s and into the '70s. In fact, I won't understand for the life of me why Lincoln took a major step backward from security by reinstating outside latches on their '70s cars starting with the Mark III, until around mid-decade.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”