64 reupholstered benches

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

msloquet
Frequent Contributor

64 reupholstered benches

Post by msloquet »

20201111_154415.jpg
Hi guys
I bit the bullit and finally had my crusty old seats reupholstered. Anyone in the socal area I used a shop in Simi valley called Charlie's upholstery. He does lots of old cars. Did leather faces and vinyl sides as well as my head rests which I've heard r a bit rare for a 64 sedan. Very happy with the job. My door panels and headliner were in really good shape so I chose to leave them alone.

Happy holidays!
Attachments
20201204_131336.jpg
20200910_161436.jpg
20201204_131840.jpg
loquet
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Re: 64 reupholstered benches

Post by rick »

Seats Looks Great!!!!

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
msloquet
Frequent Contributor

Post by msloquet »

Thanks rick. Needed a N-95 mask to breath in the car with all the petrified foam dust that was in the car.
loquet
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Nice !!!

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Bravo! That turned out very nice.

There are a few shops here in Charlotte that do good work and I've toyed with the idea of taking mine in to be re-done. The only problem is that they are so backed up, that when you ask them how long it will take, it's always 6+ months.

If you don't mind sharing.....how long did yours take to get done?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

What a transformation! Looks great!
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
msloquet
Frequent Contributor

Post by msloquet »

Their turnaround time was about 4 weeks. I noticed many of the other shops I looked at were backed up 3 months or longer just to get on their list.
loquet
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Looks great!

That's one advantage of having our northern winters, months of down time with cars off the road anyway to get work like that done.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
Mike
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by Mike »

Looks great!

That's one advantage of having our northern winters, months of down time with cars off the road anyway to get work like that done.
1963 Continental
2007 Crown Victoria LX
and a couple Chryslers and Cadillacs
64convertible
Frequent Contributor

Post by 64convertible »

Nice. I’ve never seen head rests on our cars. Wonder if they can be added
1955 Buick Super (Two-door hardtop)
1964 Lincoln Continental (Convertible)
1966 Buick Skylark (Two-door hardtop)

My Car Collection: https://lh-photography.smugmug.com/Pict ... /n-Td9hWw/
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Impressive. I too did not know that Lincoln offered head rests in '64, even as a rare option. I know that was offered starting in '68, and it became standard-issue as of 1 January 1969. I have been wanting to get my seats re-done for years now and still can't. I do have the leather to have it done; although the duplication of the '66 patterning details is not exactly right (nor is the shade of green they used), it is still green leather which should fit properly on the seats...and after the complicated mess I went through to get that leather I figure it will be better than what's in Frankenstein now. It's still in its box, however, as there is only one upholstery source in the Junction City area, and trying to arrange something with him is next to impossible. So, that has to wait until I can finally settle into a more developed location...which has again been delayed, thanks to the coma the engine has gone into this year! :doh:

Yes, head rests can be retrofitted into years that didn't offer them; I can attest to that at least as far back as 1966. I retrofitted head rests into my front seats, having salvaged them and their mounting hardware in 2006 from a '69 organ donor, which fortuitously had upholstery that included an exact match of the green leather seats of Frankenstein. They were in surprisingly good shape and really look like part of the seat (and they are still adjustable and should provide the protection they're supposed to, although I have not subjected them to such a "test"). See for yourself.

---Tony
Attachments
Rear Seat, Front Seat Backs Visible
Rear Seat, Front Seat Backs Visible
Driver's Seat, Back View
Driver's Seat, Back View
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

I recently bought a 68 parts car, just got it home on Saturday. It has buckets with headrests, but are not like Tony's. they have 2 round posts each. I will post pictures in the near future under "for sale".
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Right, the headrest design of '68 did have two posts each; they went with a thicker single post in '69. Apparently finding a '68 with the headrest option is a rare find; I've only seen pictures of them, I can't remember seeing one in person, and I've seen quite a few '68s in my time.

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”