Sheet metal help!!!

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

KingdomRods

Sheet metal help!!!

Post by KingdomRods »

Hello to all, I've recently embarked in a project I'm not sure is achievable... a 1962 Lincoln Continental. I'm a small restoration shop in the Forney, TX area and we are looking to restore this beast. My question is are there any places that reproduce body panels? I've found a couple of places, but I figured what better place to ask for help but here with you guys... Are we stuck fabricating patches from scratch? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Re: Sheet metal help!!!

Post by action »

What areas of the vehicle do you seek?

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
KingdomRods

Post by KingdomRods »

We need a deck lid, hood, roof panel or at least the drip rail sections on both sides, quarter panels and fenders...
Steve K
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Steve K »

This is not what you are going to want to hear, but this sheet metal is not reproduced to my knowledge. The exception is trunk lids which are being reproduced in fiberglass for some model years. A search on this forum's search bar will likely reveal a discussion of who does these. If I recall correctly, they are very pricy. I don't think you mentioned whether the car is a sedan or convertible but since to mentioned a roof, I'm assuming a sedan. If the car is that rusty really look over the structural components of the unibody construction before you commit. Your best bets are going to be parts cars and, in the case of a sedan, you may be miles ahead finding a different, more solid car to start with and using the one you have for parts. Pictures of the damaged areas would help a lot.
2018 Lincoln Continental
1964 Lincoln Continental Sedan
1948 Mercury Town Sedan,
1959 Mercury Montclair
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

There was a guy making reproduction deck lids of that vintage. (61 & 62 should be the same)
Rather spendy.

I believe this is the guy
https://www.christianpaulcustoms.com/pr ... erby=price

The roof and drip rails are not reproduced.
The hood can be found from a donor.

Fenders and quarters have to be cut out and welded in, now you are getting into an area that more of the car is bad versus any good.

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
KingdomRods

Post by KingdomRods »

I appreciate all the replies! are there any salvage yards you guys would recommend? and YES! i forgot to mention this is a 4 door sedan...and NO... that's not the answer I was hoping for...
Suicidekid63
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by Suicidekid63 »

you can PM forum members- JAB, GaryP, NewLincolnMan, Buddy67Lincoln, or LincolnMario. All have parts cars and may have what you need.
Looks like you are in Texas. IDK if any of these guys are close to you or not. I know GaryP is in Missouri, so he may not be of any help.
If your project needs all of that, it may be a parts car vs. resto project, but I've seen some nasty beasts come back from the dead with alot of work and $$$$.
Good luck w/ it man!! BTW- any pictures??
Last edited by Suicidekid63 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steven Wecker 1963 Lincoln Continental sedan survivor/ Ermine white w/ Pearl honey beige interior
"Moby"- The Wixom whale / aka: "Pale Rider"
ALWAYS carry a fire extinguisher!!!
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

Lincoln Land has parts
https://www.lincolnlandinc.com/

However sheet metal can get pricy to ship.
Or just buy an entire car. That way all of the sheet metal gets shipped at the same time.
Finding one will be a challenge

Action
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

I too would like to see shots of this prospect; that would give me an idea of what to input. I had once pondered resotring a '67 whose fenders, all four of them, were literally half-eaten away from rust. I mean the lower half of each fender was literally gone. It might have been something well over my head, but 20 years ago I thought about it.

Now, as you mentioned that you're in Forney, TX, there is a supply source very close to you: CTC Auto Ranch (here's the link: http://www.ctcautoranch.com/). Apparently, there was some disaster declaration in the Denton area, where they're located, so they aren't open to the public right now. But they have a lot of organ donors. I think the earliest Suicide they have is '63, but the sheet metal should be the same except for the trunk lid (which can still fit but just wouldn't look right on a '62 for show purposes). Thing is, they're expensive; I bought a couple of relays and inner door latches from them a couple years ago and paid almost as much as I would have for new ones...but they worked.

---Tony
Last edited by TonyC on Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

I believe that Gordie Jensen, LCOC Member, has a small herd of Lincoln shells that he is trying to unload. His contact is in the LCOC magazine. Wayne
LC67Vert
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by LC67Vert »

I see there is some NOS sheetmetal offered on EBay for '60s Lincolns. Check the offerings from OldCarClearance. They have a lot of NOS and used parts but you will pay full price. No bargains here just market value where a NOS front fender for a '62 Lincoln is listed for $975. Where else can you find a new 50+ year old fender?
Jeff
1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible
stevedrums
Frequent Contributor

Post by stevedrums »

canadian made rear quarters, dog legs, and floor panels are available.
https://www.alfaparts.net/lincoln.htm
1961 Sedan

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”