Painting my Lincoln

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Painting my Lincoln

Post by mge825y »

Well, I'm to that point where I need to have my '63 Lincoln Continental convertible painted. I've talked to a half dozen shops and am starting to get a feel for the ones that know what they're doing. But, it's a big decision with big price tag.

Has anyone had their Lincoln painted in the last couple of years and have any tips to share?
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
JimA
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Painting my Lincoln

Post by JimA »

Don't think you could go wrong with a recommendation from Doug at Prestige Motorsports in Concord. https://www.prestigemoto.com/ Don't think they do paint there but they claim "full service" and are no doubt hooked up with good shop that does. They built a 302/347 stroker for my Maverick and everything was first quality.
1978 Continental Coupe
521 Stroker -- SOLD :-(
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

When you do pull the trigger make sure they use new roller covers! :smt005
And you might pony up to the deluxe 11 piece set!

A clean cover is always the best!

>>>Action
Attachments
shopping.jpg
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

If you’re already set on spending big money, send it to Rich Liana. Phenomenal quality.
Nick
Current: 1971 Mark III, 2012 MKZ AWD, 2016 F-150 Platinum
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

action wrote:When you do pull the trigger make sure they use new roller covers! :smt005
And you might pony up to the deluxe 11 piece set!

A clean cover is always the best!

>>>Action

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

LithiumCobalt wrote:If you’re already set on spending big money, send it to Rich Liana. Phenomenal quality.

I have talked to Rich several times. Without a doubt the best in the business and a super nice guy. He is much in-demand and has a 2-year wait list. If money and time were no object, he'd be the guy.
Mark in Charlotte
tomo
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by tomo »

You probably will find a waiting list at the best shops. I had to wait from Sep to Mar in order to get my Mercury into a good shop. Then Covid 19 struck and his help disappeared, so it has been from Mar to July to get a dent repaired, the bumper straightened and get the fender, hood and door blended to match the paint. I am going to get the car back next week.

In 2002, I found a production shop that was willing to paint my car as a winter fill-in project. The shop did quality work so I contracted with him for the 2003-2004 winter. He allowed me to come in and help with the prep and finishing work and to put the car body and fenders back together after painting, saving me a few thousand $$. I get lots of compliments on the paint job and have been very happy with the results.
Tom O'Donnell
Palatine, IL
1953 Capri Sport Coupe
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Plan on more time and money than you are willing to spend. Just saying. I've been there, as almost everybody else has who has gone this route. Wayne
bagged59
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by bagged59 »

papawayne wrote:Plan on more time and money than you are willing to spend. Just saying. I've been there, as almost everybody else has who has gone this route. Wayne
i can second that!!
'59 Continental 2dr hardtop, burgundy, 460, AOD, 9" rear, 4-wheel Wilwood disc brakes, air ride, vintage air. purchased 7/7/06. Restoration in progress...

https://www.instagram.com/paulrosowicz/
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

may I recommend Jim Richardson of Auto Depot in Amelia, Ohio (near Cincy). He's done body work and painted several of the local LCOC Lincolns and everyone has been extremely happy with his work. He also seems to be able to do that work without asking for your first born.

Buckeye Steve
Buckeye Steve
Lincoln Maniac

Post by Buckeye Steve »

His number is 513-797-5900

Buckeye Steve
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

Buckeye Steve wrote:may I recommend Jim Richardson of Auto Depot in Amelia, Ohio (near Cincy). He's done body work and painted several of the local LCOC Lincolns and everyone has been extremely happy with his work. He also seems to be able to do that work without asking for your first born.

Buckeye Steve
Steve, all I can find is a user car lot under that name in Amelia. Is this the place?
Nick
WANTED: 1969 Continental sedan, 77 Continental Town Car w/opera window delete, 76 Fleetwood Brougham
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Circling back on my original post.... found a great shop in Largo Florida and will drop off the Lincoln at the end of the month.
Mark in Charlotte
LithiumCobalt
Lincoln-ally Insane

Post by LithiumCobalt »

mge825y wrote:Circling back on my original post.... found a great shop in Largo Florida and will drop off the Lincoln at the end of the month.
Please share your experience as you go. Good body shops are tough to find, especially ones that will work on these cars.
Nick
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

My story, documented here is very long and sometimes disappointing, but the end result was beautiful, even if it did cost far more than I had planned on. It seemed every week that there was a new reason to put more money in the body shop's account. On the other hand, my brother just surprised me with a quote from MAACO for 1,200 bucks, for his daily driver '95 Continental. For 1,200 bucks it only needs to look a little bit better when it comes back. Wayne

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”