Painting my Lincoln

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Re: Painting my Lincoln

Post by mge825y »

action wrote:Nice!!!

May be in 30 days it makes the travel North?

Action
Action - The short answer is, that I wished it would be ready in 30 days. But realistically, it'll probably going to be closer to 60 days before she heads home.

The long answer is that there lot's of little things that together take up a lot of time (besides the peak moldings, door handles, bumpers, badging, etc) I bought a nice working AM Radio and power antenna mast from Autostick when he parted out his '63 that needs to be installed. The restored dash from Just Dashes needs to be installed and all the wires and gauges. New hood insulation to install. The package tray was taken off and painted and I don't think that has been installed yet. I have a replacement rear brake lens to replace a cracked one. All the doors need to have the metal panel and then the leather upper + carpeted lower reinstalled. And while all the door and trunk rubber weather stripping was okay when they started, I have to imagine there will be some that got banged up when removed.

But while I'm sitting here thinking about it, I should go ahead and schedule some time to go over the list with the shop.
Mark in Charlotte
1963 Lincoln Continental convertible
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

That sounds more like 90

You have a "new" engine as well. Breaking that in will be a specific drive.
Change the oil and filter after the first 1000 miles
And do get 1000 in before the winter or outside low temps drop below 50f

Action
Phoenix - Yeah, it's hot, however it's a dry heat
2006 Lincoln Navigator Limited 5.4l 3V
1996 Lincoln Mark VIII 2DR Coupe Diamond Anniversary 4.6l DOHC, 4R70W, 3.07
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
1966 Lincoln Continental 4DR Convertible 462 4v, C6, 3.00
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4DR Breezeway 410 4v, C6, 2.80
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Sound advice for sure! If it gets too hot in AZ, you should visit Charlotte and we’ll roll some miles and break it in.
Mark in Charlotte
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

I would except you have named storms.
I break out in hives during a named storm.

Maybe a LCOC meet?

Action
1970 Continental Mark III Triple Black 460 4v, C6, 2.80 (Used for Woodward Dream Cruise or just generally stored in Michigan)
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Hi Mark,

It appears to me that re-installing your car's dash might be the most time-consuming item on your to-do list plus something you hope they get right the first time.

It occurs to me that it's maybe worth mentioning that while the dash is removed, it might be a good time to check the vacuum actuators (vacuum motors) that control the open/close flaps on both fresh air vents (driver and passenger). These two vacuum motors are located up on the sidewall of the footwells. (Did I really just say the "sidewall of the footwells?") :grin:

I suggest at least replacing the vacuum hoses leading from each actuator to the vacuum manifold (located above the accelerator pedal) no matter how good they look. Checking each actuators membrane would require a vacuum pump and don't know if you're into doing that (but not sure if your shop would be either).

In my experience, the vacuum systems on our suicides remain a mystery to most modern mechanics (ask me how I know) and those two actuators are very difficult to reach when the dash is in. (Your head will be up under the dash and your knees draped over the front seats.) Plus the angles are all wrong for your fingers to operate.

Rick
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

rick wrote:Hi Mark,

It appears to me that re-installing your car's dash might be the most time-consuming item on your to-do list plus something you hope they get right the first time.

It occurs to me that it's maybe worth mentioning that while the dash is removed, it might be a good time to check the vacuum actuators (vacuum motors) that control the open/close flaps on both fresh air vents (driver and passenger). These two vacuum motors are located up on the sidewall of the footwells. (Did I really just say the "sidewall of the footwells?") :grin:

I suggest at least replacing the vacuum hoses leading from each actuator to the vacuum manifold (located above the accelerator pedal) no matter how good they look. Checking each actuators membrane would require a vacuum pump and don't know if you're into doing that (but not sure if your shop would be either).

In my experience, the vacuum systems on our suicides remain a mystery to most modern mechanics (ask me how I know) and those two actuators are very difficult to reach when the dash is in. (Your head will be up under the dash and your knees draped over the front seats.) Plus the angles are all wrong for your fingers to operate.

Rick
Hello Rick - great advice on the actuators. I actually did all that work a couple of years ago. And you are right, it's quite a mysterious setup. I replaced all the vacuum lines in the engine compartment. Then the ones under the dash. Both setups (the one in the engine compartment and under the dash) were original. Many were missing and what was there was cracked and split and not necessarily connected in the right place. I did my best. Then went back over and re-did both setups again a few months later AFTER I figured out what was going on and what diameter hoses to use. I ended up buying several yards of different diameter silicon hose from Amazon the 2nd time around. Never had a problem.

When I was done, I then looked at the hoses for the power door locks. I decided that was a mystery that required a lot of effort for little gain. So I didn't do those but I did run new lines to the door lock master control (or whatever it's technically called) under the dash of the drivers sidewall of the footwells (it's catchy!)

Keep the advice coming - There's so much to do that reminders are welcome.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

Well, My baby's back home after a lengthy stay in Florida. A two-year journey that included an engine rebuild, a new dash, new convertible top - and a new paint job.

I'm very happy with the result and happier still that it's home. I have enjoyed a few nice drives since it arrived this past Saturday 12/11/21.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-13 124013.png
Mark in Charlotte
frasern
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by frasern »

The car looks awesome Mark! It was a long time, and a lot of work, but now comes the fun part, racking up some miles, Happy motoring.
Fraser Noble, Western Canada
'62 and '67 LCC.
action
LCOC Regional Director

Post by action »

How about some more pictures?

Action
rick
Lincoln Maniac

Post by rick »

Car looks just great, Mark. Wow.

What a great feeling to finally be cruising down some highway ......... after that combination of planning, patience, effort and $$$$ finally came together and yielded that Black Beauty.

Congratulations!
1961 Lincoln sedan
2011 Lincoln Navigator
2015 Lincoln Navigator
TonyC
TLFer for Life

Post by TonyC »

Good stuff, Mark! Don't forget to mention the transmission overhaul, the worst mechanical problem a car can have, regardless of make, model, or year.

So, now that the old girl is like factory-new, does that mean that Stu and I have to be concerned about a third contender taking the top billing in the mileage challenge?

---Tony
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet, just because there is a picture with a quote next to it." (Abraham Lincoln, 1866)
"Question Authority!"

1966 Continental Sedan, affectionately known as "Frankenstein" until body restoration is done (to be renamed "General Sherman" on that event)
papawayne
Addicted to Lincolns

Post by papawayne »

Lookin gooood! Wayne
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

action wrote:How about some more pictures?

Action

Hoping that if work (my day job) and the weather continues to cooperate, I'll be able to get some more pics this weekend. Stay tuned!
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

rick wrote:Car looks just great, Mark. Wow.

What a great feeling to finally be cruising down some highway ......... after that combination of planning, patience, effort and $$$$ finally came together and yielded that Black Beauty.

Congratulations!
Thanks Rick! The problem I've always had in Charlotte, is a lack of gas stations that offer high octane non-ethanol gas. To my surprise, in the 2-years it's been away, a new station was built 8 miles away with 90 octane non-ethanol. Even though it's December now, this week the highs have been around 60. So, I made a trip out and back the other day with top down. It was glorious. Hoping to have a few more nice days here before it gets too cold.
Mark in Charlotte
mge825y
Dedicated Enthusiast

Post by mge825y »

TonyC wrote:Good stuff, Mark! Don't forget to mention the transmission overhaul, the worst mechanical problem a car can have, regardless of make, model, or year.

So, now that the old girl is like factory-new, does that mean that Stu and I have to be concerned about a third contender taking the top billing in the mileage challenge?

---Tony

Thanks Tony! I doubt you have to worry about me going for the title. I honestly don't know if I will ever drive mine as much as you and Stuart. I think it will take lots of time and many small excursions to build up my trust in the car before I could ever confidently plan a long trip. I'm hoping that I will get to that point because I do have some places I want to go in it.
Mark in Charlotte

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”