1976 Continental Trim Code KNB

Paint, sheet metal, hood ornaments, trim, vinyl tops, emblems, seats, carpet, dashboards, etc. Paint cleaning and detailing messages should be posted in the Cleaning and Detailing sub-forum.

Moderator: Dan Szwarc

tweets
Occasional Visitor

1976 Continental Trim Code KNB

Post by tweets »

Anyone know what trim code KNB stands for? Haven't had any luck searching for it and need to decipher to try and find a color match.

Thanks
kellyz
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1976 Continental Trim Code KNB

Post by kellyz »

I don't know about 1976. The trim code could have been three letters. In 1977 the trim code was only two letters. Are you sure you are looking at the correct code? I know they change colors each year so this most likely won't apply to your car but for 1977 the trim code "KN" is this:
Natural Grain Leather & Mateao Vinyl (L/B Split Bench) W/Red

Do you have a shop manual? All the codes are in the front of each manual.
Kelly Zimmerman
1977 Continental/Town Car
mkvintage

Re: 1976 Continental Trim Code KNB

Post by mkvintage »

I am having the same issue. I have a 1978 Town Car with a Trim code of KNA. I also have the 5 vol. Ford Factory Service Manual sets for both 1978 and 1979. Neither manual has Trim code info with the other tables for deciphering the Vehicle Certification Label (door tag). The car has a split bench seat in White Leather.

Also, maybe of interest, on the door tag the Ext Color code (23 - Dk Red Metallic w/ Clear Coat), and the Axle code (K - 2.75:1 Locking Diff) while correct to the car, are not codes used on 1978 models or referenced in the 1978 manual. However they are both valid codes in the 1979 manual. This might be due to the fact that this car is very late production, with a scheduled build date of July 25, 1978 - or about a week or so before the 1979s would need to be built for a Sept '78 introduction.

Matthew Graettinger
Thorp WI

Return to “Body, Trim, & Interiors”